Fielders Choice on Single to Right Field (responded)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
catesandrew

Fielders Choice on Single to Right Field (responded)

Post by catesandrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 pm

I already know the answer, but I wanted to have an easy to link post so that I can send it to one of the parents of our 12U girls softball team. He's not angry, I just wanted to show him how this one doesn't make sense and unfortunately, the rules are pretty clear on this one.

Situation:
- Runner on first base
- Batter gets clean single to deep right field
- Runner on first rips around second towards third base
- Right fielder sees runner going around second to third and makes long throw to third base to attempt to get runner out
- Batter now approaches first base and sees right fielder make throw to third base, knows baseball is no where near him so takes off to second base.

How do I score this? If I select fielders choice, the application only allows me to show the batter reaching first. Technically the batter should only get credit for the single and on the fielders choice he got to second base. To the best of my knowledge the application will not let me enter this as one play. I'm stuck, thanks.

Don't think it matters if the runners are called out at third or safe, and same for second. The main problem is how to enter as fielders choice and advance hitter to second but give hitter credit for base hit. Thanks
--
Andrew
OhioTex

Re: Fielders Choice on Single to Right Field

Post by OhioTex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Iscore can absolutely handle, routine play. And credit batter with a base hit.

I recommend and will assume you have the following game option settings , (tools/gear icon - in bottom right of maim screen screen)..
* "minimize questions" = "no"..
* "record hit location" = "yes"
* "scorekeeper level" = "advanced"

Start with runner at first R1

Tap....
In play > Safe > Hit Single > Hit location, type, strength > Next >
what happen to runner at first?
... third , safe, advanced by batter >
what happen to batter ?
... Second, safe, on the throw.

End with R2,and R3.

If you have "minimize questions" = "yes" .
Then You would not get the prompt "what happen to batter?" Wth questions minimized, the program assumes batter held up at first.

If so, then after entering above, (before next pitch), just tap the runner at first icon> , then tap > second, safe, on the throw .

You are correct, you could have variations with runner out at third or second, and still have the base hit. Do above just in response to "what happen to runner ?" You would tap 'out' instead of 'safe'..

Iscore developers choose to provide an "on the throw" button instead of a 'fielders choice' button' to advance runners in such scenerio (i assume they did it to not confuse users with scorer advancing a runner by fielders choice with batters hitting into a fielders choice)
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
catesandrew

Post by catesandrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you so much. That setting, "Minimize Questions" was the culprit. Had no idea, thanks for shedding light on this. Huge time savings, I could not figure out for the life of me how to score it in the application. Now I have two ways. The first way was following your sequence. The second way was In Play, Fielders Choice, Hit Location/Type/Strength, Next, 9 (RF) - 5 (3B), Done, What happened to runner on 1B? .. Third, Safe, Advanced by Batter, What happened to the batter? Second, Safe, On the Throw. The latter gave option to record the throw from 9-5 on the play.

You had me all the way to the last sentence. I wish you would of left it out :) Only wish because it gave me new insight that has lead to new questions. It seems like the runner on first base should be marked On the Throw as well vs Advanced by Batter. I'm going to have to get more familiar with the terms, On the Throw, Advanced by Batter,..., and what their impact is.

Again, thank you for saving me so much time.
--
Andrew
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm

1) note, i described a way to enter the play even if you have "minimize questions" set to yes. ( I do however recommend setting 'minimize questions to 'no')

2) I do not believe the second method you described, using "in play > fielders choice.." Will give you what you intended. You said you wanted the batter to be credited with a single (batting average goes up)... When you use "in play > fielders choice" you are saying the batter did not reach by hit, when a batter reaches due to a fielders choice, he is not given statistical credit for a hit. (batting average goes down).

If you are saying he should not be credited with a base hit single b/c in official scorer judgement, he could have been thrown out at first by a routine play, then your second method is correct and mine is not.

3) Generally, with a batted ball in play, lead runners are 'advanced by batter' ( or error) and the batter gets extra bases beyond his credited hit (single, double triple) as 'on the throw' ( or by error). In your scenerio, advancing the batter or runner to second or third "on the throw" vs "advance by batter"' would not statiacally matter, just changes the play-by-play description.. However, It does matter for plays at 'home plate'' when 'on the throw' will take away an RBI that 'advance by batter' would correctly assign.

Lead runners generally advance by batter, (or error), not "on the throw" as defense normally throwing ahead of runners. Batter should be credited when runners advance without aide of errors. sometimes the runner from first may score on a single b/c he was stealing or really fast or a weak arm in outfield - but unless an error, Still an RBI even though extra conditions helped
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1