dropped third strike scored incorrectly

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
david_h

dropped third strike scored incorrectly

Post by david_h » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Help. I made a mistake scoring a game. Two outs, runner on third. Third strike dropped, and runner came in, but the force out was recorded at first, so the runner should not have counted. I scored the runner, but later they ruled that was a mistake. Now I have the score incorrect. How do I take off the run? (It will not let me edit the pitch by pitch to show him not scoring.)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: dropped third strike scored incorrectly

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm

We are trying to reproduce what you are saying, and do not understand how you were able to score it the way you are saying.

We put a runner on third, two outs. For the next batter, did 3 strikes, clicked "Dropped Third Strike", it asks for the touches, so touched Catcher, First Base, Done. iScore does not give the option of scoring the runner from third.

Can you tell us the steps you used that allowed you to score the runner on a dropped third strike, batter out situation?

That being said, as we have noted in the forum, you can not currently make edits that will change the outcome of plays. You can make changes to why things happened (errors changed to hits, hits to errors, etc), but you can not make a run not be a run or vice versa. We are working on allowing these kinds of edits, but it is much more difficult than it sounds (other threads explain in more details the reasons).

Currently, in order to change this type of situation, you would have to use Undo, then re-enter the plays correctly. If you notice it immediately during a game, you can always use undo, and re-enter the play immediately.
david_h

Post by david_h » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 pm

I probably did not describe it correctly. In fact, the software was correct. It would not let me score the run on the dropped third strike since the batter was out. So, what I did was score the runner as if he had stolen home, then scored the out.
So, how do I "edit" the stolen home runner, to held up? (Obviously the game is over. This was the third inning, so I could "undo" all the innings after, and rescore. Hopefully, there is an easier way.)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

We have put a lot of effort into not allowing you to enter incorrect information. This is an example of that.

The only way to make a "game changing edit" (in this case, changing a run to not a run) would be to Undo to that point in the game, and re-enter the plays after that. We allow changing of an error to an out, an out to an error, and changes that do not change the base a runner is on, but do not allow changes that could effect the outcome of a game.

We will be adding more edit capabilities in future releases (we have mentioned this many times in the forum).

Sorry we don't have a better answer for you at this time.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

going back to reenter a game "by undo" may sound like a daunting challenge, and it does take a bit of time, but it is not as bad as you may think. Here are a few tips if yoy are doing lenthy "undo"..

1) do it sooner than later after the game -- while memory is still fresh
2) export your data before you start -- safeguard, so if you really mess it up, you can re import back to the start, no worse the wear but time spent
3) email yourself a copy of your scorecard before you start to edit, print out and use as reference
4) print out a copy of your play by play from the admin web site http://my.iscorecentral.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last one is fairly new, and really helpful!!!
us6krums

Post by us6krums » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am

I agree with OhioTex as I have had to do this several times. Here's something extra.

After printing out play by play, go to your game and go through pitch by pitch and write down all the axtra notes that are in pitch by pitch that is not in play by play (can we please have pitch by pitch reproduced somehow??)

Things like where the ball was hit to, where the pitch was thrown, who made the outs because the play by play will only show "ground out". Once I have gone through the entire game and have written down all the comments on the play by play sheet, I then add a new game and recreate it. Once I have that, I delete the old one.

Hope this helps.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:37 am

us6krums - good point on pitch by pitch. although would not want to print out pitch by pitch often, it would be very helpful in this situation when having to go back in time and fix a game. good add !!