Dealing with Heat (answered)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
wilburburns

Dealing with Heat (answered)

Post by wilburburns » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:12 am

This is not a common problem, but twice in 1.5 yrs, I've had my ipad shut off due to being to hot. On both occasions, I was able to throw it in a cooler and get it cooled off quickly and not miss much.

However, as the ONLY scorekeeper on the team with the other coaches constantly asking questions that only iScore can answer, any downtime is BAD.

So, how do the rest of you deal with HEAT and have you had any trouble with the iPad shutting off?

Maybe I need to just invent an iPad cooler to prevent this problem.

Cliff
coop85

Re: Dealing with Heat

Post by coop85 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am

I have used iScore on an iPad since it was introduced and the only time I've had problems is when the screen is subjected to direct sunlight. I've had the iPad shut down in 70° weather with direct sunlight beating down on the screen. I quickly switched to using a case with a flip cover to shield the screen while entering plays and haven't had an issue in several years. If you use one with the screen-switching magnets, it has the added benefit of prolonging battery life if you close it between plays.

Of course, shade is your friend and helps, but I've managed out in the sun by keeping the cover closed as much as possible.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Shade is the best thing you can do. There are ice packs and cooler techniques you can use, but I've found just sitting in the shade will do more than anything else to keep your iPad cool enough to use. I've used chairs with a cover, umbrellas, shade from a press box, and even standing by the side of the stands to get some shade on me and the iPad. This has the added benefit of keeping you cooler as well!
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Agree with both previous replies. Shade is best. I too use the magnetic cover technique to protect both the ipad and the battery (only really an issue if facing 3 games in a day).

I've had it shut down once or twice and it is a helpless feeling...
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Yes, shade is my friend, and I thought I was doing ok yesterday, but got caught off guard.

Would have been nice if there was a way to pickup the game in play on my phone quickly. I know I can force a handoff to the phone if necessary, but don't know of a way to grab it without forcing the Bluetooth transfer. Obviously, that's not an option when the system abruptly shuts off.

Cliff
bobjackson

Post by bobjackson » Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 am

I like to take a gel ice pack from the cooler when my ipad begins getting warm. I wrap it in an old tshirt to not have direct contact. Seems to work very effectively.
mrj1172

Post by mrj1172 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:16 am

Shade is the best.
I will bring a small towel and get it wet, the towel will stay cooler. Might have to remoisten the towel a few times.

If I bring a cooler to the game, I will have a gel pack in there that I use, wrap that in a tower. I also set the ipad in the cooler between innings if nothing important is going on.
BHoff

Post by BHoff » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:31 am

I had my iPad shut down once (in 6 years) because of heat and it caused a bit of panic. Fortunately I was able to cool it down quickly and get it going again. But, I never wanted to have that happen again so here is what I do.

I bought a laptop/notebook cooling fan from Target. (There are lots available and they are fairly inexpensive.) It's basically a plastic stand you keep on your lap with a built in fan. The fan has a USB cord that I plug into an external battery and my iPad is constantly being cooled by the fan. Since most laptops are larger than my iPad I added some felt pads to the area where the top corners of the iPad sit to raise the iPad up just a bit to allow for air flow.

I also have an iPad shade cover to cut down on glare, which serves to keep direct sunlight off the screen, so I can see better and keep the iPad cooler at the same time. The product I use is called iClipse but I don't think it's made anymore. There's a product out there by Hoodivision that looks promising.

This might sound like a lot of effort, but it brings me peace of mind and my iPad stays very cool. And, it's fairly easy to do. Hope this helps!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 am

This is an old thread (i know), but the last paragraph below caught my eye.. spurned an idea and thought i would share.

It is not directly related to the main topic (Heat mgmt. = Use shade) but there is a creative way to do what is asked " emergency hand off to second device"... could be done fast in a few minutes if prepared for it.
wilburburns wrote:Yes, shade is my friend, and I thought I was doing ok yesterday, but got caught off guard.

Would have been nice if there was a way to pickup the game in play on my phone quickly. I know I can force a handoff to the phone if necessary, but don't know of a way to grab it without forcing the Bluetooth transfer. Obviously, that's not an option when the system abruptly shuts off.
the short answer is not bluetooth but .. PHONE > ISCORE > OPTIONS > DATA SHARING > GET FROM WEB DATA BASE
if had a valid internet connection and iscorecast enabled when scoring.

If you are scoring with a valid internet connection and iscorecast enabled, and original scoring device (e.g. tablet) overheats (or otherwise shuts down) you can use a second scoring device (eg phone, if prepared in advance) to do an emergency handoff in less than 3 minutes. Can then complete scoring on second device (eg phone). As long as the secondary device (eg phone) has ) A) preloaded iscore app, and B) you know the original (tablet) device ID and password.. (get from tablet > OPTIONS > ADMIN WEB SITE > USER ID and PASSWORD ).

Steps
0. scoring game on tablet with iscorecast enabled and good internet connection.
1. tablet overheats or otherwise dies
2. pull out secondary device, (eg Phone). with iscore app already loaded. launch iscore baseball
3. Phone > Iscore baseball App > OPTIONS > DATA SHARING > GET FROM WEB DATABASE
4. enter "sc:" with user ID of tablet (eg sc:123456789 and password )
(if you do this pre game, when both devices working, the ID but not password will be saved so do not have to remember, re enter )
5. a list of games retrievable from iscorecast server will be listed
(if you had game on phone before, would have needed to delete from phone before data share retrieval,as the process only shows games not already on device to help manage unwanted duplications. )
6) app will map the players and team and game in progress.
7) go to game manager and launch game and score

When game over and original device working, you delete game from original device ( tablet) and then
Data Share from phone back to tablet
TABLET > iSCORE APP > OPTION > DATA SHARE > GET FROM WEB > Phone Device ID and Password (aka reverse of process above)
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
team mom

Post by team mom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:19 pm

BHoff wrote:There's a product out there by Hoodivision that looks promising.
I have the padhat from Hoodivision and it works great to shade the ipad and also reduce glare. I did have to replace the velcro stickers that came with it when the glue backing on the original ones melted. 3M velcro strips work fine with the accessory.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs