Scoring Questions

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
michaeldpotter

Scoring Questions

Post by michaeldpotter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 am

Hello,

If I have a situation where I have a runner on 1st base with two outs, and the batter hits it to the shortstop, he throws over to second and gets the runner from 1st, how do I input that into iScore?

Similar situation: I have runners on all bases, and the batter hits to the 2nd baseman, and the throws to the shortstop to get the runner at second, how do I input that into iScore?

Thanks!
sportsdoc

Re: Scoring Questions

Post by sportsdoc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 am

michaeldpotter wrote:Hello,

If I have a situation where I have a runner on 1st base with two outs, and the batter hits it to the shortstop, he throws over to second and gets the runner from 1st, how do I input that into iScore?
Runner at first is out at 2nd 6-4 Fielder's Choice (or ground out). Batter is safe at 1st and given a Fielder's choice. This works for me and appears correctly on the scorebook view.

Doc
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 am

To add on to this (because I had this situation last night where the bases were loaded with two outs), be sure not to advance the runner on third to home (which it will do by default when you mark the batter as reaching on the fielder's choice), otherwise a run will be scored. make sure that runner is still marked at third base.

So this is what I did:
Batter reached on a fielder's choice
Runner on third stayed at third - held up
Runner at second to third - advanced by batter
Runner at first - out - forced out - 6-4 (in my situation)
Batter - held up at first.
SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 am

bsweetser wrote:To add on to this (because I had this situation last night where the bases were loaded with two outs), be sure not to advance the runner on third to home (which it will do by default when you mark the batter as reaching on the fielder's choice), otherwise a run will be scored. make sure that runner is still marked at third base.

So this is what I did:
Interesting. I hadn't run into that.

I was going to say this needs to be fixed but technically he did not advance to home so holding him up on third is the right move...
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 am

It is one of those areas that can be tricky in a two out situation. The way I consider it is this:

It is easy if you consider it when there are fewer than two outs and only one out is made on the play (i.e. no double-play situation with one out), the runner does advance to home and the run scores.

In an inning ending play, however, the runner is still advancing home on the play (and is, in fact, forced to if the bases are loaded), but the run doesn't count because the inning has ended.

I have no issues just stating that the runner on third didn't advance, but you end up placing a couple runners at a single base on the play just to keep the run from being added to the total.

ben
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 pm

So this is what I did:
That is how we score it and that is the recommended way. We will however look into the possibility of accounting for people who may bring the runner home and preventing that run from scoring. Thanks!
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
kbum

Post by kbum » Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Can you tell me if I'm scoring these 2 Fielders Choice situations correctly:

- runner on 2nd
- batter hits ball to SS but is safe via "Fielders Choice"
- asks who was involved in out, Isn't this irrelevant since batter is safe, should I just press "DONE" ?
- asks what happened to runner that was on 2nd, I select OUT at 3rd via "TAGGED OUT"
- asks who was involved in out, so I select 6-5
- scorecard looks accurate showing FC for batter and TO6-5 for runner

My second question is when their is a forced out situation. Why doesn't it ask me who is involved in the out when I select that the runner was out by "Forced Out"?

- runner on 1st
- batter hits ball towards SS but is safe via "fielders Choice"
- asks who was involved in making the out (I've tried "DONE" and 6-4)
- asks what happened to runner on 1st, I select OUT at 2nd via "FORCED OUT"
- It does not ask me who was involved in making the out. I can't indicate 6-4 anywhere
- scorecard shows batter as FC, Runner only shows "FO" (no indication of what fielders were involved in out - is that normal?)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm

On a fielder's choice, you are actually scoring that the Batter hit into a fielder's choice. The "touches" should go on the batter. You can also do the touches for the runner when asked so they can be reflected on the scorecard. So in the first case, touching 6-5 for both the Batter and the Tag Out on the runner would probably be best.

For the second case, 6-4 on the Batter is the way to go.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Tue May 26, 2009 7:11 pm

FTMSupport wrote: For the second case, 6-4 on the Batter is the way to go.
I've been wondering the same thing, because how you suggest is the way I score it, but I never get anything recorded on the scorecard. I mean, I get FC for the batter, and (in a force out) FO for the runner, but I don't get the 6-4 anywhere.

I just assumed that it was something I would see corrected in a next version, but now I am wondering if there is something "wrong".
kbum

Post by kbum » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I would expect the app should ask who was part of the "Forced Out" so it appears on the scorecard. (It does ask you on a "Tagged Out"). As it stands now, you can never tell what fielders make a "Forced Out". Actually, I think the app is trying to ask because the screen flashes by in a split second, so I'm guessing there's a bug...?