Determining Winning/Losing Pitcher

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
brentwalker

Determining Winning/Losing Pitcher

Post by brentwalker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I really don't understand the rules behind selecting the winning/losing/saving pitcher. Ok so losing pitcher is not so hard but Winning/Saving pitcher is a bit more difficult.

Can iScore determine this for me?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Determining Winning/Losing Pitcher

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:29 pm

The reason we have not attempted to automatically calculate the win/lose/save pitcher is bacause of the wide variety of rules governing these calculations depending on the league in which you play. Even if we were able to make every variation available as an option, iScore users would have to know which rules they play by in order to select the type for the correct calculation and if you already know the rules by which your league plays we assume you know how to calculate the win/loss/save. In the future we may offer a default calculation based on mlb rules with the ability to override, but unless you are scoring an mlb game it is unlikely the result will be correct according to your league rules.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:21 pm

When considering this as an option, I suggest that you chose MLB, National High School Federation, and then Little League. I would propose that you have the option to select one of these depending on your situation or turn it off and calculate it manually. I would guess but do not know that NHSF is similar if not the same as MLB.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

baseball and softball are different too..
davidlimbaugh

Post by davidlimbaugh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Another problem with automatically doing it is that it really can't be done. The old 'must throw 5 innings' rule doesn't apply in college and high school for example. If it is Pre-Determined that the starter is coming out after a certain number of pitches or innings he is still eligible for the win. The problem with that is sometimes when you are scoring you don't know until after the game is over and you get together with the coach to go over the stats if he pre-determined that or not :-)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes, we definitely chose to stay away from making a guess in this area. You can edit the winning and losing pitchers at any time, so at the end of a game (or at any point the Winning/Losing pitcher is chosen), you can fill it in.

In fact, at the youngest levels, people typically do not even assign a win/loss to the pitchers... they just leave the fields blank.
CharlotteStampede

Post by CharlotteStampede » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Is it possible to edit and show the winning/losing pitcher and also to show saves? I score for a high school league and these boys really want their wins to show on the stat page.
Thank you.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes. Just go to Game Manager, select the Game, and there are options where you can set the Winning / Losing / Save pitcher for the game. These stats will show on the stat screens.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 pm

CharlotteStampede, Welcome to the board.
Jas

Post by Jas » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 am

CharlotteStampede wrote:Is it possible to edit and show the winning/losing pitcher and also to show saves? I score for a high school league and these boys really want their wins to show on the stat page.
Thank you.
We are a 9u team, and I am very liberal with wins and saves. Sometimes our games only last 3 innings. I LOVE that the coach can choose the winning, losing and saving pitcher. When I read on here how to do it, I went back to all our games this season and simply made my selections. Iscore also lists every pitcher available for the "award" so it is very easy to choose.

I think FTM made the right choice by allowing for manual entry of these particular stats.