Shooting/Goal Keeper suggestion

If you are having an issue or have an idea for an enhancement to iScore Soccer, please post it here.
soccerman

Shooting/Goal Keeper suggestion

Post by soccerman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

Could there be a button for Save or Saved added to the shot screen?

I did see this on the training as well, just thought it could be broken down more as the goalie could block or save a shot that is on goal, while a field player 'should' only block a shot that is on goal.
Select Block if the shot was stopped by the keeper or other defensive player. By default, if you have a keeper assigned on the scoring screen, the keeper will be set as the "Blocked By". Press the "Blocked By" button to choose a different player if necessary. Statistically, the play will be recorded as a save or a block based on the "Shot on Goal" setting. If "Shot on Goal" is set to Yes, the play will be recorded as a save for statistics purposes. If "Shot on Goal" is set to No, the play will be recorded as a block.

I don't have the app in front of me right now, but I only remember seeing block and then blocked by (let me know if I missed it as described above). It would be more intuitive to include both blocked and saved for tracking a shot. Whereas, "Saved" would be mapped directly to the opponent teams goalie stats (or your goalie stats if marking a shot by the opponent) and would not need a saved by secondary button as blocked does. Blocked would be the same as it is set up now with the removal of it being directly mapped to the goalie and keep where you can then selected a blocked by player. I think this would better capture shooting and goalie statistics.

My thinking on the two seperate items:
Blocked - any player (Blocked by) has stopped the ball from making it to the goal, thus allowing another player to attempt or make an effort for the ball, or the ball is deflected out of play
Saved - the goalie has stopped the ball with his/her hands (or other body part, so long as it stays in the goalies possession) not allowing anyone else to make a play on the ball (ball would not go out of play)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Shooting/Goal Keeper suggestion

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 pm

We are not sure what the advantage would be to making 2 separate selections for the same thing. Simply allowing Block and the choice of by who keeps the choices a bit more straightfoward and should lead to less confusion.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
soccerman

Post by soccerman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 am

I understand what your saying and thank you for the response.

As for confusion, it was I who was confused by only having Block in the app and it took me a few minutes to give up on searching for the save option after marking a shot with the app, thus why I suggested it (I like to jump in and use the app first, then read through the training/user guide if something doesn't seem right - which I found the originally quoted text only after being confused while using the app). I don't think that anyone that plays/coaches/lives/loves the game would be confused by having the two selections and by having both options it would in turn make the app more innate to the game and cause less confusion (imo).

(perhaps the novice Soccer Mom/Dad using the app could be confused by having both, but I still see that as highly unlikely).

Maybe we can get others to weigh in as well, to capture a better feel as to other users and how they see it. But to me Block and Save are not the same thing at all, so please take into consideration the two different meanings at the bottom of my previous post.
My thinking on the two seperate items:
Blocked - any player (Blocked by) has stopped the ball from making it to the goal, thus allowing another player to attempt or make an effort for the ball, or the ball is deflected out of play
Saved - the goalie has stopped the ball with his/her hands (or other body part, so long as it stays in the goalies possession) not allowing anyone else to make a play on the ball (ball would not go out of play)
The way I see it for statisticians: If I have a team manager keep stats for a game (which I usually do all of my own) I don't even tell them about blocked shots, as it's not something we typically track in great detail. Also, on some of the score books we've used in the past (paper or manual score books, which it has been a while), Block isn't even listed, or if it is it's only in the Field Players section and Save is only listed by the Goalies. (some of the more common Soccer Scorebooks are from KwikGoal, Brine, and NFSH)

It might just be better to remove Block and replace it with Save, as that would probably lead to the least amount of confusion (imo).
soccerman

Post by soccerman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:16 am

I've come across something else that might support the use of both a 'Save' and a 'Block' button on the shot screen, or at least maybe removing the link of a Block/Save to other individual players (Block-Keeper or Block-Team as the selections) when 'Shot on Goal' is used. We have two players showing up as having saves for our overall stats, but they are not and have never been placed as the keeper in the line up. So for our 4 conference games the Defense stats are showing as:

#2 (our goalie) has 21 SV - BLK 3 ALW 0.8 GAA 0.88 SV% - MOG
#6 (a Midfielder) 1 SV - BLK - ALW - GAA - 1.00 SV% - MOG
#8 (a Midfielder) - SV 1 BLK - ALW - GAA - SV% - MOG
#19 (a Midfielder) 1 SV - BLK - ALW - GAA - 1.00 SV% - MOG
#23 (a Defender) - SV 1 BLK - ALW - GAA - SV% - MOG
for totals of 23 SV 2 BLK 3 ALW - 0.8 GAA 0.88 SV% - MOG

Any explanation for this happening? I understand that if the shot is marked with 'Shot on Goal' it will get recorded as a save, which is most likely the answer to my question, but it's a team save not an individual player save*. So if a shot is blocked by a field player we'll just have to make sure the shot is set to 'not on goal'. But this should not be the case in terms of a shot that is blocked even if it is on goal at least from what I think should be happening. Perhaps the player blocking the shot did prevent a goal from being scored, but the actual Keeper if set on the scoring screen should be the only individual being credited with a save, any other blocked shot that is 'Shot on Goal' would be a team save.

Sorry to keep bringing this one up, but I still feel strongly that you should have a choice for both Block and Save.

reference on shots/blocked shots:
*NCAA Soccer Statistics Guide see page 5 item number 5 in the Goalkeeper section (starts on page 4) - I can also see where the 'Shot on Goal' is linked to a save on page 1 item number 3.

Looking forward to your feedback as I see how keeping a statistical record of these events can get very mingled together in terms of recording, linking to an event/player/team, and then reporting them out in the easiest way possible, so thank you for all your efforts in making this App and taking our suggestion into consideration.