Canadian Football

If you are having an issue or have an idea for an enhancement to iScore Football, please post it here.
Afjb

Canadian Football

Post by Afjb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi, this may sound like a crazy request, but is there a way to add the parameters for a Canadian Football game? Things like 3 downs instead of 4, allowing for a single point on a punt or FG ATT, etc. I would thnk a couple of more fields in the options section would suffice if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Canadian Football

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:03 am

If you have a link to an official "statistician's guide" for Canadian Football, we can look through it to see any differences. We will put your request on our list, and if there is enough demand, we will move up the priority.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Afjb

Post by Afjb » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:33 pm

This isn't an official guide, but this Wikipedia page gives detailed differences between the two sports. I think it's very comprehensive and accurate. Thanks for considering this!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_Canadian_football
pichettep

Post by pichettep » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:23 pm

I was about to purchase your software until I found out it didn't support CFL rules. It's a bit misleading seeing as it's included in the Canadian App store but doesn't support Canadian rules. :) I'd love to see this app updated to include Canadian rules as it would give you access to all Canadian high schools, colleges, and universities looking for a score keeping app.

If you want the actual CFL rulebook, it is located here:
http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_rule1

The website mentioned above does appear to include most of the obvious changes needed and would likely be sufficient for most educational institutions. Some of the most obvious requirements:

-110 yard field (Center is on the 55 yard line)
-Kickoffs occur from the kicking team's 35 yard line instead of the 30 yard line (although some schools use different kickoff positions depending on level of play)
-3 downs instead of 4
-Availability of a single point (AKA 'rouge') by punting the ball beyond the end zone or into the end zone and tackling the punt returner before he leaves it. All the other scoring methods are identical in type and point value (TD, single point convert, 2 point convert, field goal, safety)
-12 players on the field instead of 11
-A missed field goal is still considered in play and can be returned for a TD

Not sure this matters for software but:
-20 yard end zones instead of 10 yards
-Field has a 65 yard width instead of 53.5 yards
-Goal posts are located over the goal line instead of the end zone's farthest boundary line
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Thank you for the link.

Just as an fyi, several of these things can already be done:

- You can set the length of field to anything you like (so 110 yard field is not a problem)

- Kickoff Yardline is a configuration option so you can set it to 35 (or whatever yardline to match level of play)

- # of players on the field does not matter

- For the "rouge", you can enter a safety and reduce the score by 1

The oddest one is probably the 3 downs, but that can be handled by tapping the field and just changing the "team with ball" to give it to the other team and set current down to 1 and yards to first down to 10 (just a few taps ... much less time than it takes for the teams to bring in their offense and defense lineups).
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
pichettep

Post by pichettep » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 am

I didn't realize that some of those were configurable options already. I purchased a competitor's product and it wasn't configurable on theirs so I assumed the same for yours. From what you've said, it appears as though I can work through it with a few extra clicks. I guess I will purchase it and hope that you'll eventually update it to include those features without all the extra clicks. In the meantime, you may want to add this info into the description on the Canadian app store so that other Canadians are aware that your software can work for their needs with a bit of tweaking.
Afjb

Post by Afjb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 am

Wow, I just checked back on my original post and noticed that there are workarounds for scoring CFL games. I wasn't aware those things can be done, esp. reducing a safety by a point. I do agree with the other poster that if you were able to simply have these options available to start the game, it would certainly speed up the process -- most notably the 3 downs. But, these tips are at least a start.

Thanks!