Handling of Sack statistic

If you are having an issue or have an idea for an enhancement to iScore Football, please post it here.
Weas

Handling of Sack statistic

Post by Weas » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:58 am

In the pros, yardage lost on a sack is subtracted from the TEAM passing yards only. This is a recent change as yardage lost was calculated by subtracting it from the individual passing yards as well in the past.

However, in NCAA and our high school , yardage lost on a sack is considered a rushing attempt with negative yardage.

Is it possible that this could be a preference?

My gut feeling is that this program will be used more for college and High School ... but I can't speak for the masses.

I could just record it as a negative rushing attempt ... but I'd like to keep track of sacks as well.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Handling of Sack statistic

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:29 pm

We currently follow the NFL interpretation of the rules from the official statistician guide where NCAA and NFL rules conflict. We are hoping to have a setting soon where you can switch between NCAA and NFL but beyond that, local rules may get too complicated to support. We have an official statistician guide for NCAA that we use as our reference for NCAA rules and we do not see any reference in there of Sacks being counted as rushing attempts with yardage lost. If you can provide an NCAA reference that supports this, we would love to see this so we can expand our official reference base.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Weas

Post by Weas » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:50 am

FTMSupport wrote:We currently follow the NFL interpretation of the rules from the official statistician guide where NCAA and NFL rules conflict. We are hoping to have a setting soon where you can switch between NCAA and NFL but beyond that, local rules may get too complicated to support. We have an official statistician guide for NCAA that we use as our reference for NCAA rules and we do not see any reference in there of Sacks being counted as rushing attempts with yardage lost. If you can provide an NCAA reference that supports this, we would love to see this so we can expand our official reference base.
I hope that you offer a setting for NCAA vs NFL, as I stated, I believe most high schools follow the NCAA. And I totally understand not supporting all local rules.

While a common Google search reveals that sacks counts as rushing yards in NCAA ... I did have a hard time easily finding anything "officially" documented. Then I remembered the manual. [RTFM lol]

Quoting from the 2011 NCAA Football Statisticians' Manual [can be found here: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... nuals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

Section 3: Article 4. "Any loss by a player apparently intending to pass, but downed behind the line of scrimmage, is recorded as “Loss by Rushing.” He is not a passer until he has thrown the ball, since he retains at all times the option of running. This includes players who are called for intentionally grounding a pass by charging them with a loss of yards rushing at the spot of the foul."

It doesn't spell out the word "sack", but it certainly implies it.

In the Defensive Statistics area [Section 16] it is also noted in Article 4 that: "When a passer is pressured into throwing an intentionally grounded pass, the defensive player who exerted the pressure is credited with a solo pass sack, a solo tackle, and a solo tackle for loss for the yards lost to the spot of the foul. The passer is not charged with a pass attempt, but is charged with a rush attempt and yards lost to the spot of the foul. The ensuing penalty is loss of down at the spot of the foul. Also charge the offensive team with a penalty for no yards."
littlete

Post by littlete » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 am

I am using this for High School in Texas. I would like to see sacks counted off individual rushing stats also. Thanks!!