Whip stat and the hb vs bob

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
Rosborn

Whip stat and the hb vs bob

Post by Rosborn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Ok, the Whip stat, walks, hits per inning pitched ....I love this state, it is a pitchers stat and tells what they are doing, ERA do too, but ERA if a runner steals bases and scores as a result the pitcher is charged with the earned run although it could have been eliminated with catcher throwing out the runner so not entirely pitchers bad..... Where the WHIP is solely the pitchers bad... What I noticed though, that takes away from this stat is, if a pitcher walks 3 batter and gives up two singles she (his) WHIP is 5... But if they walk 2, hit a batter (HBP) and give up 2 hits their WHIP is only 4..... But they allowed the same number, 5 to reach first base and to me they aren't charged for the hit batter...in the context of charging the pitcher for allowing the same #of batters to reach first base in the inning... I don't care about the opponents team in the stat so when my player is hit by pitch I record it so..... But when my pitcher hit one of their batters I record it as a BB rather than a HBP (hit by pitch).... So I have apples to apples when one pitcher walks a batter and is its reflected as so in the WHIP stat vs the other pitcher hitting a batting and having their WHIP look better.... :D

Thanks guys

Anyone want to chime in on this?

One time I'd also like to address the incorrect scoring a FC simply because the lead runner is forced out, if the fielder didn't in fact not have a fielders choice, they only had one choice, the lead runner... Fielders choice is an oxymoron if the fielder didn't actually have a choice.... Line drive at left fielders feet, the left fielder scoops it (short hops) and throws out the running on first going to second because they had to hold and make sure it wasn't caught... Although the left fielder had no possible chance of throwing out the batter/base runner...
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Whip stat and the hb vs bob

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 pm

We would suggest recording HBP in all cases when a batter is hit by a pitch. WHIP is a clearly defined stat, and changing the way data is entered to "make it look better" would not be proper scorekeeping.

A walk is actually a much different thing than a HBP, and WHIP reflects that.

Walks require 4 bad pitches... a hit by pitch could be a single bad pitch.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Rosborn

Post by Rosborn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:13 am

Thanks, I agree its an entirely different stat... I don't want to change it too "look better" but to reflect what the pitcher is i or isn't doing... actually hbp makes the pitcher look better than a, bb. I want all stats to reflect what's happening on the field abd vee able to find areas needed improvement. After a game I noticed one of my players having a higher WHIP than the other when I checked it, it made the pitcher who hit a batter look better, which is exactly what I didn't want.. both pitchers allowed 5 runners to reach first base, yet the pitcher hitting a batter, the stat (as is recorded) showed only 4 runners reaching first base... I guess id like it to read BOTH, allow it to show as a HHBP, but include the HB in the WHIP the same as a bb? Then the pitcher is responsible for in both cases under the WHIP stat for placing all those runners on first base... I realize it probably won't be changed but from a coaches standpoint it's more telling if both pitchers are shown to have allowed 5 runners to reach first based solely on their pitching? Thanks
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Iscore uses conventional standards

And That is how WHIP is defined (w/o HBP) and has been widely adopted by Sabermetrics.

P. S. If Scorekeeping by Official rules of baseball . A batter is not credited with a hit but a fielders choice if baserunner ahead of him is a force out
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
Rosborn

Post by Rosborn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks guys...