Scoring question

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
KevTN

Scoring question

Post by KevTN » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:11 am

Okay have a quick question:

Runner at first. One out. ball hit to center. CF gets ball on first bounce throws out running at second. I scored it FC out at second.

One of the other scorers said that it can not be a FC choice from CF.

What do you all think....
team mom

Re: Scoring question

Post by team mom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 am

If the runner out at second started at first (and was not the batter) it is a FC. You can not score a hit if there is a force out on the play.

From the NFCA scoring guidelines (I'm sure there is something similar for baseball) :
"Credit a fielder's choice
1. when a ball is put in play where a preceding runner is forced out on the hit, or
would have been forced out had no error occurred,"
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:43 am

Agreed. Fielders Choice.

There are quite a few threads on this topic if you want to read more.

Its a tough break for the batter, but the reality is batters can be penalized by runners being on base.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:23 pm

That seems odd, but a rule is a rule. To me if the center fielder couldn't get the batter out at first it would be a hit, but I can definitely also see that because there was a consequence to the hit that maybe there is a good reason for the fielder's choice.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Camerabry wrote:That seems odd, but a rule is a rule. To me if the center fielder couldn't get the batter out at first it would be a hit, but I can definitely also see that because there was a consequence to the hit that maybe there is a good reason for the fielder's choice.
Yeah, I think you are on the right track. The team's position has been worsened following the play (runner on first still, but one more out)...but again, not truly the fault of the batter...
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:47 pm

One significant reason for not scoring a hit when a runner is forced out is to minimize judgment calls on this play.

In other words, if as a result of a ball batted into play, a runner is put out on a force play, a base hit is not to be scored.

The scorer need not worry about making exceptions (even though bad baserunning (or a bad break because the baserunner needed to go halfway on the play) may be the direct cause of the force play) because the ball was played first by an outfielder.