stolen base or defence in deference

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
KevTN

stolen base or defence in deference

Post by KevTN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:14 am

OK I was doing some reading the morning and thought I would throw this out.

Say there is runners at 1st and 3rd. Runner on first takes second. The defence makes no attempt to get the runner. Would this be considered a stolen base or defensive indeference? I have been recording as a stolen base, if not a stolen base how do you score the runner?

Thanks...
mprusak

Re: stolen base or defence in deference

Post by mprusak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 am

Almost always stolen base. If its in the last inning and a big lead for the defensive team then probably indifference, otherwise SB.

Indifference is NOT the same as choosing not to throw down for strategic reasons (runner on third).
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
KevTN

Post by KevTN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:39 am

Ok that is what I have thought but who know when having a discussion can make you rethink things.

Thank you...
team mom

Post by team mom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:50 am

Defensive indifference is rarely used in scoring. According to rules, it applies only when the team on defense is ahead by such a large margin that they do not make the play because they are indifferent to whether the opposing team scores a run.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs