Video Recording

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
elcray

Video Recording

Post by elcray » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Because it seems like I always get distracted when trying to score, I begin the beginning of the season recording all of the games with my GoPro Hero 3 video camera (It will capture the entire playing area). Then I could go back and fix anything I screwed up (it also kept "those" parents from asking why I scored their kid with an error and not a hit...we all know who "those" parents are). I had to design a camera bracket so that I could mount my video camera to any chain link fence right behind the plate and I got quite a bit of interest at every tournament we played. Because of the interest, I had to deal with several coaches and some inexperienced umpires telling me that it was against the rule to mount a camera behind the plate. I have been able to get both USSSA and ASA to agree that there is no such rule, but I am still unable to get an answer out of NCAA. Also, they say MSHSAA (Missouri State High School Athletic Association) has a rule against it as well. Anyone know?

Jasperbhouse

Re: Video Recording

Post by Jasperbhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:54 am

Elcray,

That looks nice, i was looking for a similar solution. Could you maybe post a shot from the field as well, i'm really interested in the quality of the shots? Secondly where did you buy the fence mount?
elcray

Post by elcray » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 am

Jasperbhouse wrote:Elcray,

That looks nice, i was looking for a similar solution. Could you maybe post a shot from the field as well, i'm really interested in the quality of the shots? Secondly where did you buy the fence mount?
Thanks. Click on the image in the original post to go to the web site.

Here's an example of I game I shot of my son's ball team. This was shot in 1080p at 30 frames per second (so for the best quality, change the youtube quality setting to 1080p):
http://youtu.be/x4DhtNrgpg0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Neat!!
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
Jasperbhouse

Post by Jasperbhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Elcray,

The video's look very nice! Which GoPro edition do you use black, white or silver?
elcray

Post by elcray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 am

Jasperbhouse wrote:Elcray,

The video's look very nice! Which GoPro edition do you use black, white or silver?
I started with a White, which is decent for just recording games. Then I bought a Black...which is outstanding, especially when we work on swing mechanics in the cage. It requires decent lighting but you are able to record at 240 frames per second at low res. I recorded most of the games at 1080/30, but 2K/30 is also possible; which is just amazing.

The battery life is the only real issue. You can't record a whole game on the stock battery. I use an iSound 16,000 mAh external battery and am able to record as many games as the kids can fit in a day. Also, a 64GB memory card will hold about 6 hours worth of 1080/30 video.
elcray

Post by elcray » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:42 am

FYI, I added a video showing the adapter bracket for non-GoPro cameras, for those who are interested:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ibjQVvGPfY[/video]