thrown bat question

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
coach1

thrown bat question

Post by coach1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am

Last weekend in a little league game there was a runner on first who was hit by a batted ball. When the batter hit the ball having been previously warned he was called out for throwing the bat. Field umpire called the runner who was hit by ball out as well. Home plate ump overruled saying that once the bat was thrown and batter called out it was a dead ball and runner was returned to first. This was a very close game and this call obviously caused quite a stir among opposing parents and teams. What is the correct call?
OhioTex

Re: thrown bat question

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

right call.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm

I agree with home plate ump and OhioTex. Technically, I don't think the field ump was overruled. The field ump called what he saw which was a runner hit by a batted ball so the runner was called out. The UIC (plate ump) would have the ruling on the thrown bat which would be a dead ball. As soon as he informed the field ump of the dead ball situation, then it becomes the UIC's call.

Keep in mind that I'm assuming the thrown bat out made by the UIC is correct. A carelessly thrown bat is not an automatic out in most baseball rule sets. It definitely is an out if it interferes with a defensive player attempting to make a play. A thrown bat which hits the ump or the catcher should be a team warning on the first occurrence and an ejection the next time. No one is called out though.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
coach1

Post by coach1 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 am

agree petro guy in major league or even high school but his is little league ages 8 and 9. I think calling them out is more to reinforce a teaching point when throwing the bat is a heat of the moment event for a young player and not a flaggrant violation of baseball rules. Thanks to all for the information
BobGimm

Post by BobGimm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:47 am

I also think that the decision was correct. The umpiring job seems really very difficult. They have to consider every minute things.
ASA slowpitch softball bats
rockportjack

Post by rockportjack » Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 am

I looked this one up recently after a high school game in Texas. Rule 3.3 of the rules by the National Federation of State High School Associations makes a distinction between (a) an intentionally thrown bat, and (b) an accidentally thrown bat where in either case the bat hits the catcher or the umpire. In either situation, it's a delayed dead ball. In (a) the batter is ejected. If he has hit safely, a runner is required for him. No out is called. In (b) the Umpire should warn the coach of the offending player's team that the next player to throw equipment shall be ejected. Again, no out called.
The (b) situation is pretty clear. But in (a), what if the batter hits the ball for a base hit (single or extra base)? It seems that the reason for the "delayed dead ball" rule is that the Ump can let the batter run out his hit, and after that delay, the hitter can be called out and a runner inserted for him.
I have no clue what the rule is for Little League. But I'll bet someone out there has a copy of the LL Rules. Cheers,
rockportjack

Post by rockportjack » Mon May 19, 2014 9:49 am

Sorry, I did not address the runner hit by the ball. If it was indeed a "delayed dead ball" as the high school rule states, it would seem that the runner hit by the batted ball would be out, since the runner was hit during the "delay", ie before there was a dead ball. Again, I don't know the Little League rule.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Mon May 19, 2014 10:40 am

rockportjack wrote:Sorry, I did not address the runner hit by the ball. If it was indeed a "delayed dead ball" as the high school rule states, it would seem that the runner hit by the batted ball would be out, since the runner was hit during the "delay", ie before there was a dead ball. Again, I don't know the Little League rule.
Even in this case, end result is same. Runner is out, but batter gets a hit and ends up on first. No change to the situation, just a different runner standing on first base.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
rockportjack

Post by rockportjack » Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 am

I agree Karma. In the game I was scoring, the hitter who threw his bat drove in a run. The ump called the batter out and threatened to eject him and suspend him one game; the run was erased....totally wrong, but what can you do. Our coach talked to the ump and was allowed to remove the offending batter...no suspension and not an ejection. But the ump stuck with the called out and run removal..We won the game anyway, but this could have been the difference in the instant game and a subsequent game had there been a suspension; all in the post season play-offs. Umpiring is indeed a hard job, but I expect better than this at the high school varsity level.