Dead ball for celebration

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
Camerabry

Dead ball for celebration

Post by Camerabry » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 am

Ok.. Scenario....

Bases loaded one out time expired home team up to bat with the score tied.

Ball four, walk... Game over.... EXCEPT in celebration the batter trotting to first gets tackled by a kid before he touches first base. Visiting team appeals and yes, the runner going to first is called out. BUT, they still let the other runners advance so they scored the run with two outs.

Question.... If it's a dead ball foul and the batter is called out going to first, do the runners get to advance? Should the next batter then go up with the score still tied and bases loaded with now two outs?
PetroGuy

Re: Dead ball for celebration

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm a little confused. Why was the play dead ball foul when it was a ball four situation? That is still a live ball in MLB rules (and other rule sets that I am aware of). Also, why would the batter/runner be called out? Unless they never went to first base (abandoning the bases), then there should not be an out just for touching a runner.

Anyway, here is the pertinent rule from the MLB rules:

4.09.b (Note this small section is below the main text of 4.09.b and the comments):
PENALTY: If the runner on third refuses to advance to and touch home base in a
reasonable time, the umpire shall disallow the run, call out the offending player and
order the game resumed. If, with two out, the batter-runner refuses to advance to
and touch first base, the umpire shall disallow the run, call out the offending player,
and order the game resumed. If, before two are out, the batter-runner refuses to
advance to and touch first base, the run shall count, but the offending player shall be
called out.
Going by this, I still have the runner scoring in this situation.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:51 pm

I never said anything about a foul ball....

bases loaded and a walk happens that should score the winning run. As the batter walks to first base his first base coach tackles him making him interfered with on his way to first so the umps called the kid out on his way to first.

So the question is do the other three kids get to advance a base or is it ruled a dead ball.
team mom

Post by team mom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:29 pm

I think the other runners still advance since the inning is not over. Because there was only one out, the winning run crossed the plate. If there had been two outs prior to the walk, I think the third out may have nullified the run.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Sorry, I saw the phrase 'dead ball foul' and misunderstood what you were saying. I still score the run as per the rule I cited above. I don't get the out call on the batter/runner anyway. The coach tackling the runner is not assisting the runner. It is just an extremely exuberant high five, which is legal.

Unless the runner, on getting up from the tackle, never advances to first, then no out should be called and the winning run scores. If the runner never advances to first, then the above rule applies and the winning run scores. Either way, I score the run with only one out. With two outs, then no run scores if the out is called.
Check out the iScore documentation page!