interesting earned run pitcher change scenario

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
veteranrookie

interesting earned run pitcher change scenario

Post by veteranrookie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Request for help from the experts. Here's the scenario:

* Pitcher #3 in the game
Batter 1 on base due to E6
Batter 2 on base due to BB
* Pitcher #10 in the game
Batter 3 on base due to FC.
Runner on 1st out at 2nd.
Runner on 2nd(E6 runner) advances to 3rd.
So Batter 1(E6) on 3rd, Batter 3(FC) on 1st. 1 out
Batter 1(E6) scores and batter 3 advances to 2nd on pass ball
Batter 4 strikes out. 2 outs
Batter 5 on base with a single.
Batter 3 scores from 2nd.
Batter 6 6-3 out. 3 outs.

How many earned runs and on whom? I'm curious what the experts say before I mention what iScore said.

I think the FC part is confusing iScore given batter 1 got on base due to E6 so batter 4 would have been the 3rd out and any runs after that shouldn't count on either pitcher.

Thanks.
Brad P.
PetroGuy

Re: interesting earned run pitcher change scenario

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Unless I am missing something, I have two unearned runs given to the team. I have one unearned run to pitcher #3 (batter 1) and one earned run to pitcher #10 (batter 3). Pitcher #10 does not get the benefit of the previous chances in determining earned runs (see MLB rule 10.16.i both text and comments).

What did iScore show for earned runs?
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
grstatdoc

Re: interesting earned run pitcher change scenario

Post by grstatdoc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:15 pm

veteranrookie wrote:Request for help from the experts. Here's the scenario:

* Pitcher #3 in the game
Batter 1 on base due to E6
Batter 2 on base due to BB
* Pitcher #10 in the game
Batter 3 on base due to FC.
Runner on 1st out at 2nd.
Runner on 2nd(E6 runner) advances to 3rd.
So Batter 1(E6) on 3rd, Batter 3(FC) on 1st. 1 out
Batter 1(E6) scores and batter 3 advances to 2nd on pass ball
Batter 4 strikes out. 2 outs
Batter 5 on base with a single.
Batter 3 scores from 2nd.
Batter 6 6-3 out. 3 outs.

How many earned runs and on whom? I'm curious what the experts say before I mention what iScore said.

I think the FC part is confusing iScore given batter 1 got on base due to E6 so batter 4 would have been the 3rd out and any runs after that shouldn't count on either pitcher.

Thanks.
Brad P.
When pitcher #3 left the game, he had two runners on base. Therefore he is to be charged with two runs, should they score.
When Batter 3 reached on the FC (forcing out batter 1), batter 3 then became the responsibility of P#3, not P#10.
The reason is described in MLB scoring rule 10.16(g):
When pitchers are changed during an inning, the official scorer shall not charge the relief pitcher with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time such relief pitcher entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner who reaches base on a fielder’s choice that puts out a runner left on base by any preceding pitcher.
Rule 10.16(g) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.16(g) to charge each pitcher with the number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners on base and is relieved, such pitcher shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and including the number of runners such pitcher left on base when such pitcher left the game, unless such runners are put out without action by the batter (i.e., caught stealing, picked off base or called out for interference when a batter-runner does not reach first base on the play).
So far, when P#10 replaced P#3, there were two runners on base and none out.
After batter 3, there are still two runners on base, and now one out. (P#10 did not make the situation worse by allowing a baserunner, so he has no liability for any runners)
during batter 4: passed ball, scoring batter 1 (he is not earned, having reached on an error) and advancing batter 3 to second.
batter 4 strikes out. It is the second out, but in the reconstruction of the inning, the inning should have ended at this point.
batter 5's single scores batter 3, which is also charged to P#3 and is also not earned, since the inning should have ended before the hit. (this is where the Comment to 10.16(g) is valuable).

So there are two runs, both charged to P#3 and are both unearned.
PetroGuy is correct in observing how 10.16(i) comes into play, but not correct in charging batter #3 to P#10.
By the way, should batter 6 have hit a home run (and batter 7 then strikes out to end the inning), P#10 is charged with two earned runs (which are unearned against the team), to show how 10.16(i) would work.
I trust that iScore will allow you to properly charge the proper pitchers with the runs (manual override if needed)
But this was a very good question, as the scorer needs to understand the twists and turns of charging runs (earned and unearned) when both inning-prolonging errors and pitching changes are in the mix.