Era

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
Stieb

Era

Post by Stieb » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 am

I am still very confused how this program decides what is an earned run or not. Last week our high school played a game. And 10 runs were scored in the 1st inning against us. The other team hit 2 home runs over the fence no error involved. Iscore is calculating only 1 earned run against the pitcher, how is this possible? There were runners on base both times as well some got on base due to errors but most got on base due to hits no error. So again, the question is how does this pitcher only have one earned run against her?
mprusak

Re: Era

Post by mprusak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

Really impossible to answer without seeing how the entire inning was scored, but let me give an example.

Batter 1 - out
Batter 2 - out
Batter 3 - reaches on error
Next 10 batters hit home runs
Batter 14 - out

ER = 0

Because batter 3 reached on an error that should have ended the inning, all runs scored after that point would be unearned.

So, you mentioned there were errors in the inning, this is likely the what you are seeing.

If you can post back with more detail, we can elaborate further.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Stieb

Post by Stieb » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 am

No the 3rd out was actually made on the batter after the last home run. So all were scored no one left base then batter made 3rd out. Is there anyway I can send you anything from the game so that you could look at it and see what I am doing wrong or what may be happening? I only ask this because these are high school games and this is supposed to be te official score keeping.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 am

Go into your game, Game Info -> Pitch by Pitch. There is an option to email this (upper right).

Either:
email to me: nillredsbaseball@gmail.com
or
email to yourself and then copy/paste the inning in question on this board.

My scenario still stands though. Once you reach a point where the inning would have been over if not for errors, then ANYTHING that happens after that point is unearned.

Again, once we see your exact data we can answer definitively.
Mark

Stieb

Post by Stieb » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am

I just emailed the game to you
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 am

Key is to recreate inning as if NO errors occurred. How many runs would have scored?

#7 Leslie Farris hits a hard grounder for a single.
#2 Taylor Aguayo reaches base due to an error on the shortstop #18 Makenna Wade. #7 Leslie Farris advances to third.
#4 Savannah Mccormack reaches base due to an error on the left fielder #7 Molly Beeman. #7 Leslie Farris scores on an error by left fielder #7 Molly Beeman. #2 Taylor Aguayo advances to third on an error by left fielder #7 Molly Beeman. #4 Savannah Mccormack advances to second on an error by left fielder #7 Molly Beeman.
#14 Brooke Garland hits a hard line drive for a double. #2 Taylor Aguayo scores. #4 Savannah Mccormack scores.
#8 Fayth Davis hits a medium line drive for a single. #1 Ansley Walker advances to third.
#11 Ashley Davis pops up to the right fielder #20 Maddie Peltz #16 Kayley Chisholm scores.

Batter 1 - single
Batter 2 - ROE (should be 1 out - Batter 1 should be on second base)
Batter 3 - ROE (should be 2 outs - Batter 1 should be on second base - I'm assuming this was a dropped fly ball)
Batter 4 - Double (this is where your earned run comes in, as this would have plated runner #1 that should have been on second. The runs that actually scored on this play should not have been on base, they were there by error, so not earned)
Batter 5 - Single
Batter 6 - Out to RF (should be 3rd out, nothing else after this point can be charged to pitcher)
Mark

Stieb

Post by Stieb » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am

Ok. Thank you. I am also trying to explain this to the girls. So thank you very much for the explanation. It really clarifies this for me.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 pm

sorry i am late to this thread....

Stieb you are in good hands with Mark.

One thing i would add .... this is a routine exercise for the official scorer for every inning with an error .
suggest like mark started, do it manually, in detail, .....recreate the inning and cross check with the programs outcome.
Understand any variance and try to figure out why before you discount or override the program. .. because of the numerous things that can happen human cross validation is important.