Is this bunt scored a hit, Sac, or FC? (open discussion, rules 'interpretation')

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
randkos3

Is this bunt scored a hit, Sac, or FC? (open discussion, rules 'interpretation')

Post by randkos3 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 pm

I was just questioned on a scorekeeping choice I made today . . . here's the situation:
Fastpitch Softball -
Runner on third, one out.
Batter bunts to pitcher, runner from 3B breaks for home, pitcher throws home - the runner slides under the throw - SAFE - no error. The batter ends up on 1B.
I scored the play as a FC since I felt the batter could have been thrown out at 1st by the pitcher . . . the fielder, in this case, made a choice to throw home in an attempt to put out the runner from 3rd - thus my decision to enter it as a Fielder's Choice. I contemplated scoring it as a Sacrifice - but figured sacrifice means an out was made - in fact, I'm not sure if you can enter Sac. Bunt and be placed on base without an error being assigned.
Any thoughts here? How would you score this?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Is this bunt scored a hit, Sac, or FC?

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Usually that would be scored as a sacrifice (assuming that was the intent of the batter). The fact that the batter was safe would not change that. There is no requirement that the batter is out for a sacrifice to have been made. There is a Sacrifice Bunt option with the batter being safe.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 am

Long Story (below) made short: Sacrifice :)

Have a nice day!!

NCAA Fastpitch Scoring Rules:

14.2.28 Sacrifice: Credit given to a batter who, with fewer than two outs, advances one or more base runners by bunting and is called out at first base; would have been called out had no error occurred; or is not called out because the defense plays on another base runner who advances safely.

14.8 Sacrifice
A sacrifice is credited to the batter in the following situations:
  • 14.8.1 When a plate appearance meets the following four criteria:
    • 1) there are fewer than two outs,
      2) the batter advances one or more base runners by bunting,
      3) the ball must be bunted (that is, not swung at, not slapped at, not chopped at), and
      4) the batter is called out at first base or would have been out had no error occurred.

Note: Just as the official scorer should award base hits instead of charging errors in cases involving doubt, a play that meets all four criteria for a sacrifice should be scored as such instead of simply awarding a putout and assist (if applicable).
    14.8.2 When, with fewer than two outs, the defense (without error) fails to get the lead base runner out on any type of bunt.
    Note: If the lead base runner is tagged out in an attempt to advance more than one base, it is scored a fielder’s choice. If the batter is obviously bunting for a hit in a situation in which a sacrifice is not normally used, credit the hitter with an at-bat.

14.8.3 When, with fewer than two outs, the lead base runner advances by means of a bunt but a trailing base runner is out.

14.8.4 When, with fewer than two outs and base runners at first and third bases, the pitcher fields a bunt, holds the base runner at third base, throws the base runner out at first base and the base runner at first advances safely to second base.
14.9 Sacrifice Not Credited
No sacrifice is credited in the following situations:
  • 14.9.1 When a lead base runner advances on a bunt because of a dropped good throw.

14.9.2 When a batter inadvertently taps the ball into fair territory and it results in a base runner advancing and the batter being retired. The intent to sacrifice bunt must exist.
    Note: Scoring for the left-handed running slapper should be the same as for a traditional left- or right-handed batter. If the running slapper clearly shows the intent to advance a base runner by bunting, credit a sacrifice. If the running slapper slaps or swings, charge an at-bat, even if a base runner advances.

14.9.3 When a play made on the lead base runner is successful and she is put out, charge the batter with an at bat and fielder’s choice.
mk01

Post by mk01 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 am

What if the runner never advanced (pitcher held her at 3rd)? or was out at home? and batter still safe at 1. Still a sac?
team mom

Post by team mom » Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 am

Would still count as a sac bunt if you believe the batter would have been out at first but the defense opted to hold the runner rather than go for the out. If the batter would have been safe, you could credit them with a hit (scorer's judgement.)

If the runner at third is out at home then it is a FC.
14.9.3 When a play made on the lead base runner is successful and she is put out, charge the batter with an at bat and fielder’s choice.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
PetroGuy

Re: Is this bunt scored a hit, Sac, or FC? (replied)

Post by PetroGuy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

I don't think you can score this modified version (i.e. no runners advance) as a sacrifice. On of the prerequisites of a sacrifice is that at least one runner advances (14.8.1 criteria 2 from the Fast Pitch rules above). This is in all major rule sets for both baseball and softball. Now the question is whether it is a hit or a fielder's choice. With no play made, I believe the correct ruling is a hit. If the defense makes a play and no runners advance and no outs are made, then it is an FC.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
team mom

Post by team mom » Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 am

That makes sense on the sacrifice clarification.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon May 22, 2017 5:10 am

(Moderator note: Moved thread from FAQ to the Rules interpretation discussion)
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1