Batter passes runner

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
coach1

Batter passes runner

Post by coach1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:17 am

2outs runner on first. Batter hits a home run but passes runner before runner on first crosses home to score. Ump calls batter out (third out) for passing runner which I agree is correct call. However he allows the runners run to count which forces a tie and extra innings subsequently the offending team wins. This is elimination game in a tournament with the obvious implications. My question, shouldn't the inning ended with the 3rd out when batter passed the runner from first with no runs being scored thus ending the game?

Easier question how do I score this in iscore?

Thanks
monarchstats

Re: Batter passes runner

Post by monarchstats » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:08 am

I believe a home run is technically a dead ball 4-base award. Since the batter-runner reached first safely, the runner scores. This is not a time play. Hope this helps.
coach1

Post by coach1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:50 am

If it makes any difference the runner was standing at home plate to congratulate the batter and hadnt tagged home until after the batter had crossed the plate. At that point the batter was called out and the run awarded. Just when you think you have seen it all something else crops up. Thanks Iscore!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Ok community, this one has me thinking. Can't say i ever seen it before and thought i would repost for umpire/rule experts to weigh in..

should the run have counted? are players awarded bases on a home run, or given the ability to advance without play but still have to touch bases et
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I don't think the run should count. Once the batter/runner passes the preceding runner, the batter/runner is out for third out. Since the preceding runner had not scored before the third out was made, then no score. This should be a time play.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
clmazin

Post by clmazin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

The run shouldn't count, but it's not a time play. Dead ball four base award, but since no one touched home prior to the third out, no run should score.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Technically, yes Petro is correct.

However, the umpire goofed up. The rule to be applied should not have been PASSED RUNNER but MISSED BASE. The umpire shouldn't have said anything until an appeal was made on the runner that didn't touch home, which should've come swiftly since everyone knew that he didn't touch. But the thing is he can't retouch after a following runner has scored.
coach1

Post by coach1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 am

That may what actually happened since he scored the run sending the game to extra innings. If he had applied te passed runner rule it would have been third out ending the game with neither run scoring. It history now but appreciate the information for future reference.
gingbear

Post by gingbear » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 am

Okay. Last night we had an IPHR with a runner on first and no outs. The runner on first missed home and touched after the batter. They went back and forth over if it was a passed runner rule or missed base rule. Scoring wise, once I put home run for the batter, I can't call a runner out. How do you score these in iScore?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

In this scenario, you would use Undo, then tap the runner and mark him out first, then enter the home run.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs