Who gets the win

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
thenunn4

Who gets the win

Post by thenunn4 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 am

If the starting pitcher throws 3 innings +1 batter, and leaves with a 4 3 lead. The relief pitcher comes in and throws 4 scoreless innings, and the team wins 7 3. Which pitcher should be credited with the win. This was an ASA tournament. Thanks
OhioTex

Re: Who gets the win

Post by OhioTex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:20 am

by ASA rule, The starter would not get the win b/c the game went the full 7 innings (or 6 1/2) and the starter did not go enough innings (4) to get the win.

ASA RULE 11 - SCORING
Section 5. A PITCHER SHALL BE CREDITED WITH A WIN.
A. When a starting pitcher has pitched at least four innings and the pitcher’s team is not only in the lead when the pitcher is replaced but remains in the lead for the remainder of the game.

although not specified in the ASA rules i have access to, I believe most scorers would credit the win (not a save) to the relief pitcher, who pitched most effectively, 12 outs and never gave up the lead.. a great resource for fast pitch scorekeeping that supports this determination can be found at http://nfca.org.ismmedia.com/ISM2/Multi ... r/ATEC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NFHS softball.. a bit different language but would end in the same place in your scenario reliever gets the win... ( in NFHS softball, pitcher earns enough innings if she pitches at least half the innings of a game)
brian_oshea

Post by brian_oshea » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 am

The manual that you reference is extremely interesting. Is it possible to obtain a copy of it? I see it is 66 pages long and printing this out would take some time and not be as nice as a properly printed & bound copy. Thanks.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:25 am

credit to "team mom" for the excellent reference tool.
I find it works easy on line with the hyper links. i have not found a hard copy order means.
it is a bit dated circa 1999 but i have found it to be of high quality.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Actually Tex, I'm not sure that's accurate. I don't know exactly the rule, but I know a couple of leagues (Little league being one of them) credit an inning pitched, and not a fraction of it, if they throw a single pitch in an inning. I would check the ASA rules and see if pitchers are credited with an inning pitched regardless of the number of pitches thrown or outs recorded because if that's the case, the starter could be eligible for the win.

This is a "don't quote me on that" situation by the way.

Regards
Bryan D. Shepherd
kjboyleii

Post by kjboyleii » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:06 pm

When they indicate that a pitcher gets credit for a whole inning if they throw a single pitch, most leagues mean for determination of pitcher eligibility due to mandatory pitching limitations. That is, if there is an inning limit for pitchers in the league, they determine an inning pitched to have been achieved through throwing a single pitch. The scoring rules and determination of winning pitcher are usually unchanged -- that is, you have to throw a certain number of innings and leave with the lead, etc. The one pitch equals an inning does not apply for determining a winner, loser, save, etc.
meskens

Post by meskens » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:46 am

Sounds like somebody just wants to pad their stats. I know the "official" rules would tell me that pitcher #2 would get the win. But these official rules don't take into account pitching limitations in leagues and tournaments such as "you can only pitch 3 innings if you want to pitch the next game or the next day".

I would have no problem going against the "official" rules if this were a pitching limit situation. And isn't this society about making the kids feel good about themselves... give a win to pitcher #1 and a save to pitcher #2 (;0)
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am

The original post mentioned ASA tournament, ( I assumed that was girls fastpitch, but open to correction ). As such I provided ASA rules reference. Not user preference . Not many ASA girls fast pitch tournaments (any?) use pitch limits . Time limits, yes, much more frequent conundrum and inning roll backs etc. I believe the question as posted about ASA answered . Different if MLB or little league, or others perhaps