Lineup for continued game

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
FeisMom

Lineup for continued game

Post by FeisMom » Fri May 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Our girls fastpitch softball league plays by ASA rules and requires that all girls bat in the lineup even if they aren't playing defense. We had a rainout and continued the game tonight from the second inning. The rainout ended at the end of the second inning with the other team's ninth batter getting the third out. Tonight they had three additional girls show up who were added to the end of their original lineup. We continued the game with us batting top of the third from where the game left off. When they came up, iScore began with the tenth (new to the lineup) batter. Their coach sent their first batter up to bat and insisted that because the second inning had ended with the ninth as their last batter, they should start at the top of their lineup. After much discussion, the ump agreed with them. I did not think this was right, and of course, iScore didn't like it. I ended up having to remove the three girls from batting and then add them in to the lineup in the fourth inning. Any thoughts on whether they should have had to bat beginning with the tenth batter?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Lineup for continued game

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Don't know the ruling on that, but with iScore, you could have used Misc -> Skip Batter to skip the newly added players. Someone else may know the ASA rules on who should have been at bat next.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FeisMom

Post by FeisMom » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks - I will have to remember that. I am still learning iScore.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Thu May 10, 2012 10:18 pm

The coach is correct. It's just like when does an inning start...when the third out is made in the previous inning. When the 9th batter got out, that makes the next batter the batter in the #1 position. Even when that team is on defense, the next legal batter is the batter in the #1 position, regardless of what happens in between the 3rd out and the next batter that the team sends to the plate.

I'm not sure if I explained it adequately enough.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon May 14, 2012 4:54 am

thanks Bryan. my first thought would have been to start with number 10, but i think your point is most correct. .. batter #1 is due up..

FeisMom - "Misc skip batter" is definitely an score tip you want to keep in your toolkit if you are playing in youth leagues that "bat all".