Legal use of iScore in Little League

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
CreigN

Legal use of iScore in Little League

Post by CreigN » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Had an 11U All Star playoff game today. I am not a Team Manager or Coach, just a parent using iScore standing well off backstop along third base side about 30' from Home Plate, where my son's team dugout was. I had been scoring previous 5 games at the same venue and had no problems before. I had accumulated hit locations for the opposing team and when the next opposing team batter came up, I'd let the kids (playing defense) know that it might be coming to them from the spray pattern that comes up on the scoring diamond on the screen. I've been doing this for last three years with iScore and never any problem.

Today, a Tournament official (from the Host Little League and, coincidently, the team we were playing at the time) came up to me and told me that Rules prohibited me from using an electronic scoring device and 'coaching' the kids. I told her that I was just a parent and not a Coach and that they didn't have to listen to me. I wasn't talking to or communicating with the coaches. Our league 'rule guru' said that I could continue, could tell the coaches or kids any info, just that the coaches could not 'acknowledge' my input.

Anyone had anything like this happen before or know of any rules regarding use of iScore (on iPad in my case) in Little League games?
monarchstats

Re: Legal use of iScore in Little League

Post by monarchstats » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

If you have access to a Little League Rule Book, I beleive your answer is in Rule 3.17. It allows the use of electronic score keeping or pitch counting devices by managers and coaches as long as it is not used to receivce messages. Check the rule book to be sure.
bsk713

Post by bsk713 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 am

A few notes: Rule 3.09 prohibits players from addressing or mingling with spectators. I know the fine line is that as a spectator you are addressing them, they aren't addressing you, however, if you are giving instructions to a player, you are coaching them.
First, as a coach or manager, this is problematic in that most managers don't want spectators coaching their players. IF the manager welcomes you as a 'coach' to do that, then you are a coach, AND, you need to be in the dugout, and not more than 3 adults are to be in there.
The SPIRIT of these rules is to avoid what you describe, and that is effectively, having a fourth coach outside the dugout.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm

First off, the coach in question is in a conflict of interest and I would personally ask for the Umpire In Chief to make the decision on a situation like that.

That said both of the above posters are correct. Electronic scorekeeping is permitted as long as it's not used to communicate with someone in the stands or outside the dugout related to the game (a doctor using his phone because he got a call from his hospital is okay). Just make sure to stay within the spirit of the ruels and you're okay.