Nat'l Federation Softball Substitution Question

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
rainman8681

Nat'l Federation Softball Substitution Question

Post by rainman8681 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 pm

situation: Sub at the plate for a player who does not hit well, but is fast. batter gets double. Can you use reentry rule after double and reenter the faster player. An umpire told me I had to wait 1/2 inning could not do it then.
OhioTex

Re: Nat'l Federation Softball Substitution Question

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I will assume you are talking Fast Pitch (though i do not think slow pitch is different)

Ump wrong, there is not a written 1/2 inning condition in the rule book.
NFHS Softball Rules
Rule 3-3
ART. 5 . . . Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game
and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup. A starter and any substitute for a starter may not be in the

There is a special condition on pitchers... which would suggest there is no 1/2 inning limit on any player.
NOTE: A pitcher may be removed as a pitcher and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return does not violate either the substitution or charged conference rule.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Re: Nat'l Federation Softball Substitution Question

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

The only rule about subs in softball is that a pitcher who comes in to pitch must face one complete at bat before he/she can be removed/replaced.