How do you folks score a sacrifice...

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
KevTN

How do you folks score a sacrifice...

Post by KevTN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

This is the 12u ASA "A" girls team I am keeping stats on...

I gave our coach the stats for our team thus far (10 games) he was happy with it but said there should have been a few more sacrifices given...we both agreed that the circumstances could have gone either way so...

I will be the first to say I am NOT an expert on everything so in what circumstances do you consider giving a hitter a sacrifice?

Thanks
mprusak

Re: How do you folks score a sacrifice...

Post by mprusak » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am

Sacrifice Fly can only be scored when a run scores - i.e. no sacrifice for moving a runner from second to third on a fly out.

Sacrifice bunt should be awarded any time the batter advances all runners on a bunt that is deemed by the scorer to accomplish just that. If batter were to reach on error, a sacrifice should still be awarded if appropriate.

MLB rule:
10.08 Sacrifices
The official scorer shall:
(a) Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the batter advances one or more runners with a bunt and is put out at first base, or would have been put out except for a fielding error, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, the batter was bunting exclusively for a base hit and not sacrificing his own chance of reaching first base for the purpose of advancing a runner or runners, in which case the official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat;
Rule 10.08(a) Comment: In determining whether the batter had been sacrificing his own chance of reaching first base for the purpose of advancing a runner, the official scorer shall give the batter the benefit of the doubt. The official scorer shall consider the totality of the circumstances of the at-bat, including the inning, the number of outs and the score.
(b) Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the fielders handle a bunted ball without error in an unsuccessful attempt to put out a preceding runner advancing one base, unless, an attempt to turn a bunt into a putout of a preceding runner fails, and in the judgment of the official scorer ordinary effort would not have put out the batter at first base, in which case the batter shall be credited with a one-base hit and not a sacrifice;
(c) Not score a sacrifice bunt when any runner is put out attempting to advance one base on a bunt, in which case the official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat; and
(d) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a ball in flight handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield in fair or foul territory that
(1) is caught, and a runner scores after the catch, or
(2) is dropped, and a runner scores, if in the scorer's judgment the runner could have scored after the catch had the fly been caught.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
KevTN

Post by KevTN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for your time and the information. I do appreciate this site for the information and the willingness of everyone helping each other out.
FDT92

Post by FDT92 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:54 pm

OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

sac bunt does not have to advance all runners, just the lead runner . /
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Really? interesting. So, I can bunt into a double play and get a sac if I advanced the lead runner?

Actually, in re-reading the rule I posted, it doesnt specify even that it needs to be the lead runner (just says 1 or more runners), though it doesnt make sense that you would get a sac if lead runner is put out.
Mark

KevTN

Post by KevTN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the information
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 pm

mprusak .. agree interesting, I can't imagine i would have scored a sac bunt if it resulted in a double play and advanced a runner.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 am

10.08c listed above seems to disagree. It says to NOT score a sac bunt if any runner is put out trying to advance.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:02 am

Thank you...knew we were overlooking something...so, my initial statement stands. This is in line with how I have always approached it.
Mark