Force out question

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
bmclaurin

Re: Force out question

Post by bmclaurin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Camerabry wrote:You have no run if the people on base don't successfully reach the next base. He never reached the next base. The batter is forcing the runners to advance because he needs a spot to go. If they don't make it then it's a force out. Done. Close thread.
Sorry, but if you're following OBR, this is not correct. If one or more "consecutive runners" do not *acquire* their respective advance base by means of abandonment, the umpire will signal them out for abandonment (which is a timing play, NOT a force). However, as I stated in my previous post, *IF* the defense appeals that the runner did not *touch* the advance base, then the runner will be declared out by a force play, and that out will supersede the timing play. Again, I'm talking OBR here.

By the way, for anyone following this thread, please note the difference between "acquiring" a base and "touching" a base. I used those two terms deliberately in the preceding explanation. An advance base is "acquired" by a runner generally when he touches or *passes by* it (usually within a body length) without touching it. A runner that "acquires" a base shall be ruled upon *as if* he touched that base, unless the defense properly executes an appeal. The failure to *touch* (or re-touch) a base is strictly an appeal play. It is the defense's responsibility to take note when a base has not been properly touched (or re-touched) by a runner.
edsmith29

Re: Force out question

Post by edsmith29 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Plain & simple the runner is out for not advancing & leaving field of play & the run should not have scored!