High school softball rules

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
softandbase

High school softball rules

Post by softandbase » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey - Ohio Tex ( I have a feeling you will know) can a high school softball player play on a travel team during high school season?
Thanks!
team mom

Re: High school softball rules

Post by team mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:08 am

I think the answer to this will depend on your region. Some regions absolutely forbid it (I think CA is one.) Teams there try to get around that rule by having "clinics" instead of practices. Others do not follow that rule. In my state (GA), HS softball is a Fall sport, so it is not as much as an issue. For the regions that forbid it, h.s. insurance liability seems to be one of the reasons cited.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
softandbase

Post by softandbase » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the information, we are in Florida. I'll have to check into that more! I always love your answers Team Mom!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

state by state association rules.

in ohio, to remain eligible in the high school governing bodies eyes (OHSAA), the answer is definitively NO. You can not try out or practice let alone play a game with a travel club and be in compliance. You risk eligibility for balance of this year and next year.
iOhio high school rules and i suspect majority of states have very specific eligibility rules, who can play and when and how much and when they can be coached etc. in and out of season.

find out who your state governing body, check their web site, i suspect it will be very prominent.
team mom

Post by team mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

I checked the GA h.s. website and could not find travel teams mentioned at all ( for any sport.). Not much of an issue for softball as h.s. season starts up about a week after Asa nationals. I think most of the older travel teams around here just slow down a bit until h.s. Season is over.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs