Save for a Pitcher

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
ahmurphy

Save for a Pitcher

Post by ahmurphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 am

Question/Clarification on What "Save" Means -- My daughter pitched the first 6 innings of a 7 inning High School Varsity softball game. We were home team. Score at the bottom of the 6th inning was us 4 visitors 0. A second pitcher was put in for the top of the 7th inning. First batter grounded out SS to 1st. Next two batters struck out. Batters were substituted for previous batters/players thus easy strike outs. My daughter got the "Win", but the second pitcher got credited with a "Save". I don't understand this "rule" and how it applied here. When I look at the baseball rules for "save", I don't see where this was a "save". Can someone explain this for me. Thanks.
haysja

Re: Save for a Pitcher

Post by haysja » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 am

The second pitcher in this case should not have been credited with a save because she did not meet the criteria for a save.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_'save'_in_baseball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ahmurphy

Post by ahmurphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks for the quick response. When I read the "definition" I thought this was an error also to give her the "save" as we were ahead 4-0, not 3-0 as it states "have a lead of no more than 3 runs". Thanks again. Now to decide how to address/question this with the coach!
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:18 am

Who gave the credit for the save? It is my understanding that iScore does not auto fill wins or saves unless something changed in the last update.
ahmurphy

Post by ahmurphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 am

No it wasn't through iScore. The credit showed up in the news paper articles where the game stats were reported so I guess the coach gave the "save" to this pitcher based on his understanding of the "rules".
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:44 am

iScore does not automaticlly post save.

Up to the user to apply the rules for their situation correctly.
Sounds like if governed by NFHS rules, technically should not be a" save" as described.

For reference, Posted elsewhere here are the save rules for fast pitch softball
Posted by team mom

Pitching: Saves
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. A pitcher must meet all three of the following conditions to be credited with a
save:
a - She is the last pitcher in the win, and
b - She is not the winning pitcher, and
c - She meets one of the following:
1) She enters the game with a lead of no more than
three runs and pitches for at least One inning, or
2) She pitches effectively for at least three innings, or
3) She enters the game with the potential tieing run
either on base, at bat or on deck.
2. No more than one save may be credited in a game.

Source: NFCA Homeplate: ATEC: Beyond The Basics of Scoring Fastpitch Softball

(Ed Ohiotex) Note for high school (baseball and softball) per NFHS - starting pitcher Who is replaced and then reenters As a pitcher can be credited with the win but not the save      
ahmurphy

Post by ahmurphy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks so much for this specific information on the rules. This is really helpful to actually see it in writing specifically for softball. Thanks again.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 am

Generally in this forum on "rules" (team mom in this case) try to provide direct citations for all to learn from..
team mom

Post by team mom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

I found this softball rules reference on the internet and find it to be a great resource.

http://nfca.org.ismmedia.com/ISM2/Multi ... r/ATEC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs