ASA Electronic device rule

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
fastpitch98

ASA Electronic device rule

Post by fastpitch98 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:40 am

Hi,

Can anyone give me the exact rule about ASA and electronic scoring devices? The UIC this weekend had me take my ipad out of the dugout saying no electronic devices allowed. Even though I showed him it was a scoring device he said it didn't matter. I tried to explain that I believed the spirit of the law is for no communication or video devices but I didnt have the exact rule on me.

Thanks!
OhioTex

Re: ASA Electronic device rule

Post by OhioTex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 am

Below is the specific citation from ASA

(I have seen other govering bodies make similar comments to the effect that electronic scorekeeping by coach in dug out and in coaches box is OK, but any sort of electronic communication to/from the coach(s) is NOT acceptable, .... that is the fine line being walked with multipurpose devices like iPhone/iPad. (communication or scorekeeping use). I have used the "airplane mode" arqument to help reinforce 'not for communication' - just scorekeeping.. in practice, dialog with the umpire in chief before game is the best practical solve...also Fall Ball in my area is a bit less "uptight" , if they are challangeing the use now, be wary in the summer..)

ASA Rule 4, Section7, C
One Coach can have, in possession in the Coach's box, a score book (electronic or paper), pen, pencil or electronic marker and an indicator all of which shall be used for scorekeeping or record keeping purposes only.

source
ASA charges for its current rule book. but here is a bit dated online version (2005).
http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Mis ... lebook.pdf
fastpitch98

Post by fastpitch98 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks OhioTex! I'll keep the rule close by now!

It was the finals in a fall tournament here. No one said anything for the previous 5 games in the tournament except maybe "that's cool!". Even a few of the other umps noticed it and liked it. I imagine the umpire for that game didn't know the rule and thought he was acting appropriately in accordance with the no electronic devices rule. I didn't think it was worth making a big deal about it even though I knew I read it before that it was ok.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:54 am

have noticed in youth sports more allowed than older sports.

NCAA has an odd rule
Source: 2010-2011 NCAA Softball Rules
3.7.5 Statistical information may be entered into electronic equipment but may
not be accessed or retrieved during the game
fastpitch98

Post by fastpitch98 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 am

I just spoke to a HS coach. She said she didn't think it was allowed under HS rules. Do you have any knowledge of the HS rules too?
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:32 am

Always check with the UIC before every tournament. If they OK it then your good. Otherwise, your scoring from the stands that day.

USSSA Rule 11 Sec 2. A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:
(F) Use electronic communication, television monitoring or replay equipment for coaching purposes during the course of the game.
(H) Be in possession of any object in the coach’s box other than a scorebook, which shall be used for scorekeeping purposes only.

According to an umpire friend, the use of iScore in the dugout, or coaching box, strictly for keeping score is legal. The gray area is in the hit charts, and the ability to electronically review previous at-bats, pitches, or other "trends" during a game for coaching or strategizing.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 am

fastpitch98 wrote:I just spoke to a HS coach. She said she didn't think it was allowed under HS rules. Do you have any knowledge of the HS rules too?
i think it is a gray area...

NFHS Rules (Softball 2010)
Rule 3 - Section 6
ART. 10 . . . Objects, other than scorekeeping materials/devices, in the coach’s box are prohibited.
ART. 11 . . . Electronic communication devices, television monitors and/or replay equipment shall not be used for coaching purposes during the course of the game.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Rule of thumb for this instance is: the only electronic devices that are allowed in the player/dugout/in play area are for scorekeeping and statistical purposes only. Exceptions can be made for certain situations like if you're a doctor and need to wear your pager at all times, that is acceptable.

Example: You cannot have someone scouting in the pressbox relaying that information to the dugout area like you can in football.

(Sorry for the long hiatus, work's been hectic).
souljerr

Post by souljerr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am

CSThunderCoach wrote:...The gray area is in the hit charts, and the ability to electronically review previous at-bats, pitches, or other "trends" during a game for coaching or strategizing.
I think it's a combination of the above from your umpire friend and also not really understanding the technology and it's use.