Softball Relief Pitcher- win or save?

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Re: Softball Relief Pitcher- win or save?

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

BucketDad wrote:OK I've gotten conflicting answers to this from two local coaches and I've seen a similar post that involved baseball. Here goes:
Fastpitch softball, top of the 6th inning.
Score is 3-5. Bases loaded (walk, single, single), 2 outs.
Home Pitcher A is relieved by Home Pitcher B.
Pitcher B then walks and gives up a single to the next 2 batters.
Score tied 5-5. Next batter grounds out for the 3rd out.

The home team does win in their half of the inning (exciting game, btw).

My question is, Which pitcher gets the win or does Pitcher A get a win and Pitcher B get a save?

I've read the MLB rules and a few things apply here for Pitch B to get a save. Like, pitching 1/3 inning, taking over with less than a 3 run lead, with tying run on base. But where I get hung up on is the part about pitching for at least 3 innings.

I understand softball in general doesn't use relief pitchers the same way baseball does. Our games in this tournament are 7 innings or 70 minutes and we were beyond the 70 min. mark when the bottom of the 6th began.

One coach has told me B gets a save another coach says she gets a win because the runs on base were not hers since Pitcher A allowed the tie situation to occur.

Thanks, and great app, great forum.

Silas
Pitcher B gets the win. Once the score is tied, the pitcher of record becomes the one that is currently pitching, regardless of whether there are runners on base and regardless of whether she is responsible for them. Think of it as a 0-0 game.
souljerr

Post by souljerr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:52 am

OhioTex wrote:I have found there are a number of technically correct rules that are odd/stink/seem unfair. "they are what they are".. .. I thus try to apply consistently and with the right recognizable governing body as a reference point . In this case it is pretty cut and dried, on Win vs Save. (NFHS and ASA agree too) same story.
Agreed. This is one of the rules in softball / baseball that I think really sticks it to a starting pitcher.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Here is one more. In a timed game (which is not covered in any of the rules) many do not go past 4 or 5 innings or end early due to run limits.
How then do you determine winning pitcher if you jump out to a 10-0 lead and replace your starter in the 2nd inning and the game only goes 3 innings (under run-rules). Do you give the win to your starter? Your starter only pitched 1 of 3 innings, or do you give it to the "most effective" relief pitcher. What if you used 3 pitchers, 1 inning each, etc, etc.
This is one I fight over with the other coaches. My stance is the pitcher of record when we get the lead gets the win. We rarely play more than 5 innings - in 3 years (more than 150 games) we have only played 1 7 inning game (that was a champion ship game that ended in a tie at end of regulation time.)