SAC Fly - Runner out for leaving Early

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
ncheek7

SAC Fly - Runner out for leaving Early

Post by ncheek7 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 am

Runner on 3rd, no outs. Batter hits a fly ball to left. Ball is caught. Runner on 3rd tags up and scores. Batter is out on SAC Fly. The team appeals that the runner on 3rd left early and the home umpire calls the runner out (double-play). Does the batter still get credit for a SAC fly?
I am thinking this is similar to when a batter lays down a SAC bunt, but then there is a throwing error. The batter still gets credit for the SAC bunt, and then reaches 1st on an error. But I'm not sure because a run does not score. Please let me know the official ruling.
Thanks!
PetroGuy

Re: SAC Fly - Runner out for leaving Early

Post by PetroGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:27 am

MLB rule 10.08d indicates that the run has to score for a SF to count. The exceptions are only if the catch is dropped (the batter gets the SF and not an ROE) or if another runner is forced (the batter gets the SF instead of an FC).

I guess I would not score it as an SF since no run scores.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ncheek7

Post by ncheek7 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 am

Thank you very much for clarifying the rule for me.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am

Actually, it would depend on the league that is being scored as MLB rules are quite different from little league, high school, and college rules in different aspects.