Fielders choice or single? (answered)

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
HSVBuckeye

Fielders choice or single? (answered)

Post by HSVBuckeye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Game is in extra innings with score 1-1. Home team is up with one out and bases loaded. Infield is playing in and play will be at the plate. The previous play (bases loaded) was a 6-2 out. Ball is hit to 2nd baseman who throws home but runner is safe. Home team wins 2-1. How do I score the batter? My first thought is fielders choice since the 2nd baseman could easily have made play to 1st but the only play was at home so should it be a single? Thanks.
HSVBuckeye

Re: Fielders choice or single?

Post by HSVBuckeye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm

This would apply to the previous batter as well.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm

If the out could have been made at first base, then it is a fielder's choice.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 am

I think the confusion is because you say the only play was at home. There probably was a play at first to get an out. I know a run would have scored and the game would have been over, but according to scoring rules, that doesn't matter. If the second baseman could have recorded an out at first but threw home, then score it as a fielder's choice. It is a walkoff fielder's choice!
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
HSVBuckeye

Post by HSVBuckeye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks. Yeah, my first instinct was fielder's choice but then I thought 'that stinks for the batter' but he would get credit for the RBI. Walkoff fielder's choice! I like it. Good reply in case the parent comes to me and questions why it wasn't a single.
fremont

Re: Fielders choice or single? (answered)

Post by fremont » Thu May 24, 2018 4:13 pm

FC, RBI