New forum - enjoy

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

New forum - enjoy

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Bryan D Shepherd wrote:Perhaps we should make a rules forum where we put some strange plays that we've seen that we want clarification on..or maybe some plays where I could put some strange ones that have happened to me that people could guess..
Here you go...
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Re: New forum - enjoy

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:35 pm

wow, thanks!
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Okay, since I did mention strange plays, here's a mind boggler for you:

How can you have a triple play, without the ball actually being touched by any defensive player?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:12 am

does the pitch count as a defensive touch?
Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:39 am

No it does not, but the pitch has nothing to do with the solution
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:37 am

With runners on first and second and no outs, the batter hits an infield fly, and is automatically out: One out. The runner from first passes the runner from second and is called out for that rules infraction. Two outs. Just after that, the falling ball hits the runner from second, who is called out for interference: Three outs.

Can't say that I came up with that one by myself. Had to do some research to get the answer.

However, the person scoring this game now has the challenge of assigning the POs. For the infield fly, give that putout to the closest fielder to the ball. For the other two, that is up to the opinion of the scorer - be fair - you can't assign the outs to the outfielders, and most likely not the catcher, but I would guess you could assign the other two to any of the infielders. The "book" says the closest fielder, but again this is a judgement call.
Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:44 am

Well done. There were two possibilities that I knew of and that was one of them (with a minor variation: runner that was not out contacted the fielder attempting to make the catch), the second is a little less concrete: Infield fly, runner interferes with the fielder, and in the judgement of the umpire, the fielder would've been able to make a double play, and calls the runner closest to home out as well.
Rix

Post by Rix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for this forum. I think it's going to be a pretty busy one!
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 am

CSThunderCoach wrote:With runners on first and second and no outs, the batter hits an infield fly, and is automatically out: One out. The runner from first passes the runner from second and is called out for that rules infraction. Two outs. Just after that, the falling ball hits the runner from second, who is called out for interference: Three outs.

Can't say that I came up with that one by myself. Had to do some research to get the answer.

However, the person scoring this game now has the challenge of assigning the POs. For the infield fly, give that putout to the closest fielder to the ball. For the other two, that is up to the opinion of the scorer - be fair - you can't assign the outs to the outfielders, and most likely not the catcher, but I would guess you could assign the other two to any of the infielders. The "book" says the closest fielder, but again this is a judgement call.
My answer was going to be: "By first taking the elephant out of the refrigerator", but yours is waaaay better! :mrgreen: