Situational Game and App use... (replied)

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
Wbuchanan

Situational Game and App use... (replied)

Post by Wbuchanan » Sun May 28, 2017 6:43 am

Here is the scenario,

Bottom of the 3rd, 2 Outs, Runner on First, Full Count, Pitcher throws, runner on first steals, second, Catcher throws down runner at Second for an Out, Ends the inning, Umpire Calls Game on time... The umpire never called the Pitch a Strike or Ball... I tried to fix this in game edit but adjusting pitch counts isn't easy. I did and undo but when I recored the pitch as a strike (what I thought it was), the rest of the game disappeared. But, IMO, the app should have at least known a pitch was thrown (not a strike, ball, etc...) but a pitch. Otherwise, there is no way the catcher could have thrown down to Second for the Out...

Without the Umpire calling the pitch, it was impossible for me to score the pitch, so I put this on the Umpire but I understand why he didn't because of the situation. Perhaps a (rare Not Called selection in the app) to keep the pitch count updated properly... It's more important that the count is correct than whether it's a ball, strike, or foul... In Youth Leagues, the pitch count is IMPORTANT... Games are forfeited if you make a mistake...
OhioTex

Re: Situational Game and App use...

Post by OhioTex » Sun May 28, 2017 9:30 am

I responded to your other post on this topic...

in general viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11893&p=48289#p48289

on the play entry .. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11894&p=48291#p48291

On the data loss/recovery .. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11895
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
Tacho47

Re: Situational Game and App use... (replied)

Post by Tacho47 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:22 am

Wbuchanan wrote:...Otherwise, there is no way the catcher could have thrown down to Second for the Out...
The ONLY chance the play at second base could stand, is a "dropped third strike" (swung at by the batter or called and simply dropped by the catcher).

So, you should have chosen: In Play > dropped third strike > and record the out at 2nd base as occured (e.g. 2-6).

For IScore (and any scorer) a pitch can not only be a pitch. It's either BALL (ball, hit by pitch, illegal pitch) or STRIKE (looking, swung and missed, foul ball, foul bunt, hit by pitch).
If you couldn't identify either of it, it's up to you to ask the umpire! In all cases the pitch count IScore generates is ok!