What do you think...

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
KevTN

What do you think...

Post by KevTN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:08 pm

I am not going to say how I scored this just want your thoughts...

Our team at bat: Runner at second. One out. Hard grounder hit to third base. 3rd base must have thought she had a force as runner at two started to run to third. Third baseman steps on third base before she realizes it is not a force and throws ball to first. Batter beats the throw and runner on second advances to third on the throw.

Thx
mprusak

Re: What do you think...

Post by mprusak » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:44 am

I'd be curious to hear replies on this too. I think it has to be scored a hit, but it just seems wrong...

Here is the MLB verbiage on "mental mistakes":
The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise. A fielder’s mental mistake that leads to a physical misplay—such as throwing the ball into the stands or rolling the ball to the pitcher’s mound, mistakenly believing there to be three outs, and thereby allowing a runner or runners to advance—shall not be considered a mental mistake for purposes of this rule and the official scorer shall charge a fielder committing such a mistake with an error. The official scorer shall not charge an error if the pitcher fails to cover first base on a play, thereby allowing a batter-runner to reach first base safely. The official scorer shall not charge an error to a fielder who incorrectly throws to the wrong base on a play.
So, that doesn't say credit a hit, it just says don't charge an error. So, the other option is a Fielders Choice.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
rdit

Post by rdit » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I would score it a FC
KevTN

Post by KevTN » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:50 am

Hmmm didn't even consider FC...stupid question but why FC not a hit?

I did score it as no error and a hit.
monarchstats

Post by monarchstats » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:36 am

Regardless of her logic, 3rd baseman made the decision to try and put the runner from 2nd base out (FC) and not the batter, I would call score it a FC.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:18 am

Fielders Choice seems appropriate. You do not have to get the runner out to be considered a FC. The attempt was made on the runner (mental mistake that it was not a force, but mental mistakes are not errors), and then tried to get the batter.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
KevTN

Post by KevTN » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Ok thank you guys. Always learn something new around here...