Uncaught Fly in the Outfield

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
kknh3

Uncaught Fly in the Outfield

Post by kknh3 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:35 am

Scenario: High level national NFHS championship tournament

Play: Fairly deep and fairly high fly ball to right center. The CF and RF both get to the spot with plenty of time to catch the ball. They miscommunicate and let it drop. The batter/runner ends up on 2b. Do you score this as a ROE/BOE or a double.

My team was at bat. I scored it as a ROE, since I thought it definitely could have and should have been caught by either outfielder using ordinary effort commensurate with this level of play. Our coach directed me to change it to a double, since that's how they would score it in an MLB game. I definitely don't agree with it being a double. I'm also unsure if this is really how it would be scored in an MLB game.

Thoughts please.
mprusak

Re: Uncaught Fly in the Outfield

Post by mprusak » Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 am

I believe an error should be charged. Tough to decide who to give it to though.

Per MLB rules:

10.12 Errors
An error is a statistic charged against a fielder whose action has assisted the team on offense, as set forth in this Rule 10.12.
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
(1) whose misplay (fumble, muff or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;
Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error. For example, the official scorer shall not charge a fielder with an error if such fielder fields a ground ball cleanly but does not throw to first base in time to retire the batter. It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder's legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer's judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error. For example, the official scorer shall charge an infielder with an error when a ground ball passes to either side of such infielder if, in the official scorer’s judgment, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner. The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
RockRocks787

Post by RockRocks787 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 am

According to baseball-reference:

Errors in judgment are not usually counted as errors. For example, if, because of confusion or miscommunication, a fly ball that is easily catchable falls between two fielders without either of them touching the ball, no error is charged, as it is impossible to determine who is the guilty party.
KAP

Post by KAP » Fri May 09, 2014 5:04 am

In a similar play involving two infielders, our coach instructed me to charge the error to the fielder (F1) who called off the other fielder (F2) and then pulled up short of the catch. In that situation, the act of calling for the ball arguably prevented F2 from making the play and put the responsibility squarely on F1. I have not seen any rule to confirm this interpretation but it seems fair.

If neither or both players call it, my general rule of thumb is that outfielders trump infielders, the Ceneterfielder trumps other outfielders and the Shortstop trumps other infielders as they are in charge of their respective domains. In any other situation, our coach would charge the error to the player who was closest to the ball.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Interesting that MLB just reversed the scorer's ruling on David Ortiz pop-up that was originally ruled an error and allowed Yu Darvish to continue with no-hitter.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mlb ... y=news_mlb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This play is very similar to what the OP described in this thread. Two fielders let the ball fall in despite the fact the RF should have made the catch.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!