MLB Scoring vs NFHS Scoring

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
kknh3

MLB Scoring vs NFHS Scoring

Post by kknh3 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 am

Do you score plays any differently when playing by MLB or MLB-based rules versus NFHS rules.

For example: Men on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out. Grounder to 3b and he throws to 2b forgetting that there wasn't a runner on 1b. MLB rules are very specific that this is not to be charged as an error. NFHS rules are a lot more vague and would allow for this to be an error.

MLB 10.12(a)(1) comment: "The official scorer shall not charge an error to a fielder who incorrectly throws to the wrong base on a play."

NFHS 9-5, Art 5: "An error is charged against a fielder or a team for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter or the time a player continues to be a runner, or permits the runner to advance one or more bases."

Under MLB, this is definitely not an error. However, under NFHS it could and possibly should be an error.

Next Example: Runner on 1st with 0 outs. Runner is stealing on pitch and batter hits soft grounder to 1b side of pitcher. Pitcher fields it and throws late to 2b. Batter achieves 1b on FC. Should this be an error? The pitcher could have easily gotten the out at 1st.
mprusak

Re: MLB Scoring vs NFHS Scoring

Post by mprusak » Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 am

I generally assume MLB rules serve as the baseline, but are superseded by any specific rules of the organization/legue that are contrary to MLB.

So, in your first example, if the guidelines for your league call for an error than it should be scored that way.

Your second example is a fielders choice in my opinion. I don't believe making a poor decision on a fielders choice constitutes an error.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!