Scoring questions related to infield

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
promark747

Scoring questions related to infield

Post by promark747 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am

Play 1
Batter hits hot smash up the middle, 2B makes great play to field ball, has time to set himself and get the batter, but makes inaccurate throw and batter is safe. If 2B had not fielded the ball, it definitely would have been a hit. Would you score hit or E4? Does it matter if he still had all day to make the throw or if he was rushed? If I thought he was rushed, then I would say automatic hit, but I'm wondering -- does the great stop remove any further judgment of error in that sequence, assuming the batter only reaches first?

Play 2
Batter hits routine grounder to SS, SS misplays so batter reaches first. SS compounds play by throwing wildly, and batter goes to second. One E6 or two E6's on same play? Would it make a difference if the ball was fielded cleanly and the only error was the throw? What if SS misplayed the grounder but 2B picked up the ball and made the wild throw? I'm almost sure that would be considered two errors...the question is whether the same scenario should count as two errors when it's the same player making the fielding and throwing error, allowing the batter to reach first and then second.

Thanks!
runningwolful

Re: Scoring questions related to infield

Post by runningwolful » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 am

Play 1 - I think you have to apply the scoring rules, and determine if an accurate throw would have been in time. If so, then it is an E4. If not, then it is a hit.

Play 2 - It has to be two errors. Think about it this way. If the SS had held the ball after the fielding misplay, the runner would stop at 1st base. Instead, the SS made an errant throw allowing the batter/runner to advance to 2nd base. You have to account for each advance.