Correct Way to Use Pitch Speed?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
RockRocks787

Correct Way to Use Pitch Speed?

Post by RockRocks787 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been asked and answered before, but I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on the subject. I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this question in, but I figured it was the best one.

I'm trying to figure out the exact point where the button is clicked when leaving the pitcher and then clicked again when it reaches the batter. I'm pretty certain that the button should be first clicked the moment the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. It's the second click that I'm not sure about. Is it supposed to be clicked when it reaches the plate, or when it reaches the catcher's glove? I realize that of course it's never going to be 100% accurate, but whenever I do use the pitch speed, which is on the rare occasion, I do want to make sure I'm doing it right.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Correct Way to Use Pitch Speed?

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:27 pm

You place your finger on the pitch location area, then lift your finger when the pitcher releases the ball. When the ball reached home plate, you tap back down on the screen. You enter the distance from the pitcher's mound to the back of home plate (60'6" for MLB for example), and that is what is used for the calculation. However, if you think about the pitcher's release point, it is probably several feet in front of the pitcher's mound (depending on height of player, length of stride, length of arm, release point, etc). So it is not going to be perfect anyway. You can try and account for this when entering the mound distance if you would like.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
RockRocks787

Re: Correct Way to Use Pitch Speed?

Post by RockRocks787 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for the response. Yeah the reason why I was confused was because the pitches ended up being faster than they really were, but I'm sure it's because their release points are a few feet ahead of the pitcher's mound like you said. I'm gonna shorten the mound length from home plate a few feet and see if that helps. Thanks.