So.... how'd you score this one?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ixamnis

So.... how'd you score this one?

Post by ixamnis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 am

Runner at first, one out. Batter hits to 5, who fields the ball cleanly and throws to 4 at second base for the force. 4 drops the ball. 4 picks up the ball and throws back to the pitcher but in her disgust she throws the ball into the dirt, the pitcher gets her glove on it but it still gets past the pitcher. Runner on second takes off for third base. Catcher alertly picks up the ball and throws it to third and the runner is tagged out. Batter remains at first.

Right now I've got Fielder's choice, fielding error on 4 and runner out at third on 4-1-2-5. I don't think I can assign a second error to 4 if the runner was thrown out. Should I have assigned the first one?
team mom

Re: So.... how'd you score this one?

Post by team mom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

I believed you scored correctly. The first error is correct because the runner advanced to second. The second error (throw back to pitcher) is not recorded because the runner was tagged out. If the runner had made it safely to third, then a second error would have been assigned.

If runner on first advanced, I would use advanced On the Throw since the out was made, rather than error.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

Right now, however I scored it at the time is not allowing me to assign the first error to the second baseman. I think what I did was, in play: FC, where was the ball hit, who touched it: 5-4, what happened to runner on first?: out at third 4-1-2-5.

It's too late to correct it on iscore other than put a note in and manually add an error to 4. I probably should have scored it on iscore this way. in play, FC, marked where ball was hit, who touched it 5-4, what happened to runner: safe at second error 4, Then touched the base runner at second before first pitch and entered Out at third caught stealing 4-1-2-5.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 pm

I've got a question on the assists on this play. For me, I would score the out at third as a 2-5, not a 4-1-2-5. I know unintentional touches can still get assists, but to me, once 4 threw back to the pitcher and the ball got loose, then that started a new play in a scoring sense. Anyone else have other thoughts?
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 pm

I can see the logic. would like to know the answer.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 am

One of my other scorekeeping friends agrees it should be 4-1-2-5. He says, nothing would have happened (the runner wouldn't have tried for 3rd) if 4 hadn't thrown the ball in the dirt to the pitcher. So I guess you get an assist for being mad and enticing the opponent into doing something stupid!
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:57 pm

While the NCAA Softball rules don't address the misplay by the 2B, MLB Rule 10.10(b) sheds some light on this play:
(b) The official scorer shall not credit an assist to...
(3) a fielder whose wild throw permits a runner to advance, even though the runner subsequently is put out as a result of
continuous play. A play that follows a misplay (whether or not the misplay is an error) is a new play, and the fielder making
any misplay shall not be credited with an assist unless such fielder takes part in the new play.
The 2B throwing the ball into the dirt is a misplay that allowed R1 to advance (even though R1 was out at third 2-5)
Not likely P gets an assist, as her touching the ball didn't contribute to the out
The C's throw to 3B is a new play, and thus 2B (bad throw) and P (ineffective contact; did not help the catcher pick up the ball from the description of the play) are excluded from getting credit on the putout.

Hope this is useful.