Single or Fielders Choice

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
huntermaz

Single or Fielders Choice

Post by huntermaz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 am

Had a play this weekend and not sure if it should be a single or fielders Choice.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd no outs, Batter pounds a ball into the ground for essentially a swinging bunt, catcher fields the ball and looks to third but or runner stayed put buy the time he looks to throw to first for the out he cant make a play and holds the ball. Being he never made a throw to third I gave the batter a single, is this right?
team mom

Re: Single or Fielders Choice

Post by team mom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

Not sure if MLB is the same, but in fastpitch, this would be a FC.

Credit a fielder's choice
4. when a runner is checked and no throw is made (a mere checking of a lead
runner, or faking a throw does not constitute a play, unless no throw is made, but
when a check is followed by a throw and the hitter is safe, credit a hit),

NFCA Homeplate: ATEC: Beyond The Basics of Scoring Fastpitch Softball
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 am

Base hit is the correct scoring for this according to MLB rules, I believe. I will try to find a reference...
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:32 pm

I need to double check also, but my first opinion is that this is scored as an FC in MLB rules also.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Yeah, I could be wrong. Couldn't find anything with a quick look at the rules. I really thought this was a hit though.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
team mom

Post by team mom » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 am

Unlike the fastpitch rules, which specifically addresses this situation, I could not find anything similar in the MLB rules. It does not meet their definition of fielder's choice (see below.) Therefore, I think it is a hit for baseball.

2.0 "FIELDER’S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and,
instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an
attempt to put out a preceding runner. The term is also used by scorers (a) to account for
the advance of the batter-runner who takes one or more extra bases when the fielder who
handles his safe hit attempts to put out a preceding runner; (b) to account for the advance
of a runner (other than by stolen base or error) while a fielder is attempting to put out
another runner; and (c) to account for the advance of a runner made solely because of the
defensive team’s indifference (undefended steal)."
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 am

We looked as well, and found it very difficult to find anything to support anything other than a hit.

There is language about a batter getting a base hit in cases where a fielder has fielded a ball and runner is safe unless the fielder tried to get the lead runner out (fielder's choice in that case) or if an error occurred. There is also language about a fielder fielding a ball and holding it (in reference to RBIs), but it says a fielder holding a ball or delaying too long to get a runner is NOT an error. There is also talk about an error occurring if with ordinary effort an out could be made, but that is in reference to a ball going between a fielder's legs, being muffed, or being mis-thrown. It says specifically that a mental mistake should not be charged as an error.

Based on the information (player fielded ball cleanly, no mishandling, and just held the ball), there does not seem to be evidence of a fielder's choice or error according to MLB rules.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
huntermaz

Post by huntermaz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks for all the input, I am going to leave it as a hit.
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 pm

MLB Rule 10.05(b)(4) and Note may hold the key:
(b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a: ...
(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer’s
judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base; or
Rule 10.05(b) Comment: Rule 10.05(b) shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or
feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.
Looking at the play:
Runners on 2nd and 3rd no outs, Batter pounds a ball into the ground for essentially a swinging bunt, catcher fields the ball and looks to third but or runner stayed put buy the time he looks to throw to first for the out he cant make a play and holds the ball. Being he never made a throw to third I gave the batter a single, is this right?
F2's look back to check the runner at third fits with the comment;
Because there was no attempt to retire R3, 10.05(b)(4) does not apply;
Thus a base hit is the proper scoring on this play.
(Team Mom is correct in citing how this would be an FC in fastpitch and is correct in noting that the play does not fit the requirements for an FC)