Home Run and missed base on appeal...

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
clmazin

Home Run and missed base on appeal...

Post by clmazin » Fri May 04, 2012 6:18 am

This almost came up last night. Runner on third. Batter hits a home run (over the fence).

The other team didn't notice, but the runner on third actually didn't touch home plate on his way in from third.

If the other team had appealed, how do you handle that in iScore?
mprusak

Re: Home Run and missed base on appeal...

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 am

Would be scored as a triple.

Out, Home, Missed Base.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 am

Actually, it would still be scored as a home run. It wasn't the batter that missed the base, it was the runner on third. The batter still gets credit for a home run.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 am

oh, I missed that...

so, runner would be out for missing base (if noticed and appealed).

what if that was third out?

and, I can now see what the OP was getting at...how do you enter this in iscore?

so, i guess the answer is to move the runner from third before scoring the homerun. tap runner, out, home, missed base, then in play, homerun.
Mark

Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 am

Sadly for the batter, if the third out is on where the runner missed home plate, the home run remains a home run, but no runs score.
MLB 7.12 wrote: Unless two are out, the status of a following runner is not affected by a preceding runner’s failure to touch or retouch a base. If, upon appeal, the preceding runner is the third out, no runners following him shall score. If such third out is the result of a force play, neither preceding nor following runners shall score.
NFHS 8.3.8 wrote: Failure of a preceding runner to touch a base or to legally tag up on a caught fly ball, and who is declared out, does not affect the status of a suceeding runner who touches bases in proper order. If the failure to touch a base in regular order or to legally tag up on a caught fly ball is the third out of the inning, no succeeding runner may score a run.
Remember on a home run, all runners are forced to advance to home, so any failure to touch becomes a force play.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 8:30 am

And, in that case, I dont think you can score this in iscore (other then editing the stats).
Mark

Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 8:38 am

I don't believe so, and in fact I'll have to look at a few things to see if it will screw up the LOB stat.

ETA: Yes, your LOB stat will be off by one too many.
clmazin

Post by clmazin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 am

Exactly. It was two outs at the time.

I can see if there were one or no outs, I could score it as mrpusak suggests, but with two outs, it doesn't appear iScore can handle this eventuality.

FTM, perhaps you could address this in your next update?
Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 am

You would need to go back and edit the stats for the batter, cause he still gets credit for a home run.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 am

clmazin wrote:Exactly. It was two outs at the time.

I can see if there were one or no outs, I could score it as mrpusak suggests, but with two outs, it doesn't appear iScore can handle this eventuality.

FTM, perhaps you could address this in your next update?
Which raises another problem...I dont think anyone wants to be asked "what happened to the runner" for every runner on every home run for something that happens exactly .00012% of the time (ok, not exactly :-))

Not sure, what the solution would be. Editing the stats might be best way to go.
Mark