Question regarding force out

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
promark747

Question regarding force out

Post by promark747 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 am

2 out, men on 1st and 2nd. Batter grounds to 2B who steps on 2nd for third out.

I scored this way:
In play
Fielders Choice
Hit location, grounder, 2B fielded ball
What happened to runner on 2nd? (Safe at 3rd, advanced by batter)
What happened to runner on 1st? (Out, force out)

This seems correct, but I just wanted to make sure. When I go to the play by play, it says:

Batter reaches on fielders choice, runner on 2nd advances to 3rd, runner on 2nd forced out.

This seems incorrect because the batter really didn't "reach" 1st, nor did the runner at 2nd advance to 3rd. Is there a way to score it so it simply says batter hits into a force out?

Thanks
danmcc

Re: Question regarding force out

Post by danmcc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:30 am

You scored it the way I would have. It is a fielders choice and force out. Minus the two outs the batter and 2nd base runner are safe. It seems iScore does not make the 2 out distinction but I'm not sure I would expect it to. JMO
bepeacock

Post by bepeacock » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 am

That's the way I do it. Technically the guy on 2nd advancing to third can't be on the same base where the force out was made (on 2nd), so it seems alright to say the two other guys made it to 3rd and 1st.
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:58 pm

promark747 wrote:2 out, men on 1st and 2nd. Batter grounds to 2B who steps on 2nd for third out.

I scored this way:
In play
Fielders Choice
Hit location, grounder, 2B fielded ball
What happened to runner on 2nd? (Safe at 3rd, advanced by batter)
What happened to runner on 1st? (Out, force out)

This seems correct, but I just wanted to make sure. When I go to the play by play, it says:

Batter reaches on fielders choice, runner on 2nd advances to 3rd, runner on 2nd forced out.

This seems incorrect because the batter really didn't "reach" 1st, nor did the runner at 2nd advance to 3rd. Is there a way to score it so it simply says batter hits into a force out?

Thanks
Yes, even though the batter-runner did not physically touch first, he is considered to have been left on first (MLB 10.07(g): Number of runners left on base by each team. This total shall include all runners who get on base by any means and who do not score and are not put out. The official scorer shall include in this total a batter-runner whose batted ball results in another runner being retired for the third out.)

Offensive players have three, and only three states: (a) they can score a run (didn't happen here), (b) they can be put out (another runner was put out to end the inning) or (c) they can be left on base (which is the only option left). Ultimately this is an important element in balancing the box score, which iScore does automatically (10.03(c) shows how a box score is balanced or proven))
Hope this helps...