Fielder's Choice

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
cherrybomb

Fielder's Choice

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 am

When I looked up fielder's choice, on the official MLB rules site I found: "FIELDER'S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner. "

If the ball is grounded to the second baseman, who then tags the runner from first as she is running, is it a fielder's choice? (ie. does there have to be a throw involved to make it a fielder's choice?)
Last edited by cherrybomb on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSThunderCoach

Re: Fielder's Choice

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

NCAA Softball Rule 14.2.10 Fielder’s Choice: A fielder fielding a ground ball and attempting to put out a preceding base runner rather than the batter-runner at first when a throw to first base would have put out the batter-runner.

A throw is not required for the scorer to score a FC on a play.
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am

Thankyou. All my searching just seemed to find the ones with throw in them. I guess I'm search challenged.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 am

No problem. A throw is not required in MLB either - just worded funny. As long as a throw to first would have gotten the Batter/Runner, but the Fielder tagged/forced a preceding runner (either by throwing to another base or tagging the runner) it is recorded as a FC.

The key to a FC is not how the preceding runner gets out, its whether or not a throw to first would have retired the batter/runner.

Scenario:
Runners on 1st and 2nd
Batter hits a looper to left. Left fielder gets on 1 bounce and throws out runner at third on the force. This is not a FC as the left fielder had no shot at getting the runner at first. Score it as a hit-single and a force out at third.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 am

CSThunderCoach wrote:The key to a FC is not how the preceding runner gets out, its whether or not a throw to first would have retired the batter/runner..
exactly coach..

Also , fyi, an out is not absolutely required either, ie if in the scorer judgement, had a throw to first been made and it would have retired the batter/runner with normal effort, then score it at FC.. even if the other runner was safe or reached next base on error ..the batter runner can still get an FC. . .
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Thankyou.

Actually managed to get my hands on the softball canada rule book today, so now I'm set.
coop85

Post by coop85 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:53 pm

CSThunderCoach wrote: Scenario:
Runners on 1st and 2nd
Batter hits a looper to left. Left fielder gets on 1 bounce and throws out runner at third on the force. This is not a FC as the left fielder had no shot at getting the runner at first. Score it as a hit-single and a force out at third.
MLB rules would disagree:

"10.06 A base hit shall not be scored in the following cases:

(a) When a runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;"

We have this situation arise from time to time. A runner on first has to hold half-way on a fly to left. The left-fielder short hops the ball and fires to second for the force. The left-fielder has no chance to get the runner, yet it still is scored as a FC 7-4.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 am

coop85 wrote:

(a) When a runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;"
That rule is in MLB 10.05 (b) (1) in case someone wants to review this and can't find it.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
coop85

Post by coop85 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 am

PetroGuy wrote:
coop85 wrote:

That rule is in MLB 10.05 (b) (1) in case someone wants to review this and can't find it.
Thanks for the heads-up, the site I use must be out-of-date. I'll bookmark the MLB site from now on.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 am

Had to do some more digging and found rule 14.4.1, 14.4.5 & 14.4.6

A hit is not credited to the batter in the following situations:

14.4.1 When a batter advances one or more bases while a fielder who handles a fair hit attempts to put out a preceding runner.
14.4.5 When a runner is forced out on a batted ball or would have been forced out except for a fielding error.
14.4.6 When a fielder fails in an attempt to retire a preceding runner and, in the official scorer’s judgment, the batter-runner could have been retired at first base.

So, in my scenario (and many more like it) it is difficult to get credit for a hit if there is 1 or more runners on base. :)