How to Score Obstruction

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
plivengood

How to Score Obstruction

Post by plivengood » Wed May 19, 2010 6:29 pm

I had this come up in a game yesterday, and didn't know how to enter it on iScore, so I thought I'd ask. Simple situation: bases empty, runner hits what appears to be a double, but after stopping at 2B is awarded 3B because of obstruction on the first baseman as he rounded first base. Assuming that was the correct call (about which I had some doubt - I thought on such a play, the runner was only awarded the extra base if the umpire thought the runner would have achieved that base absent the obstruction, which at least *I* thought was not the case here), what sequence is used to enter this play? I entered

In Play
Double
Held up

And then separately, before the next pitch, advance the runner to 3B with a "held up" and then entered a note that the runner was awarded 3B because of obstruction on the first baseman. Should/could I have done something differently?
CSThunderCoach

Re: How to Score Obstruction

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 pm

The only thing I would have done different would have been instead of tapping help up I would have tapped Safe, Third, Held Up - then the note.
Doing it this way the score book shows the double and then AB1 (assuming this is the first batter.) Even though your method is before the next pitch it will show AB2 as how the runner got to third and that is really not the case. Statistically there is no difference, just the way the score book is shown.
plivengood

Post by plivengood » Sat May 22, 2010 2:06 pm

That makes sense - thanks coach. Is there no "obstruction" button that anybody knows of? That's really what I was looking for - somebody smarter than I am telling me the right method to do this without the note. Finding out there isn't a (much) better way than what I did is both relieving and somehow dissatisfying....
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Sun May 23, 2010 8:28 am

There is no obstruction button. Currently the only way to do it that I would recommend is the way that Coach does it.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun May 23, 2010 11:27 am

We will be adding Offensive Interference in an upcoming release. For now, using Held Up with notes is probably the best way to go.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
plivengood

Post by plivengood » Sun May 23, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks, all. Sounds like I did it (mostly) correctly. FWIW, the future addition of offensive interference won't help in this situation - this was defensive interference (obstruction). The notes workaround is fine for now, but adding obstruction would be good, down the line.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 am

Sorry plivengood... meant Defensive Interference.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:39 pm

CSThunderCoach wrote:The only thing I would have done different would have been instead of tapping help up I would have tapped Safe, Third, Held Up - then the note.
Doing it this way the score book shows the double and then AB1 (assuming this is the first batter.) Even though your method is before the next pitch it will show AB2 as how the runner got to third and that is really not the case. Statistically there is no difference, just the way the score book is shown.
The only other thing that was needed was to charge an E3 (with the note about obstruction), as that was the reason for the award of third.