marking options for stolen bases (discussion)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ixamnis

Re: marking options for stolen bases

Post by ixamnis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:59 pm

It appears I've come across another one of those differences between fastpitch and baseball rules. The first one I was aware of is the batter can change sides of the plate in the middle of an at bat in fastpitch but can't in baseball.

From NCAA Softball rules 2015 14.14 Stolen Base

14.14.9 To a base runner who advances a base when the defense leaves a base
undefended in mid-play. Statistically, a stolen base shall be charged to the
catcher if she was involved in the play and charged to the “defensive team” if
the catcher was not involved in the play.
Note: When electronic scoring is used, “defensive team” is entered into the
program as a pitcher. In the event a stolen base is charged to the “defensive
team” or a run is scored by the base runner placed on second base in the tie
breaker, it is recorded against “defensive team” and not any other player.
A.R. 14.14.9.1: Following a base on balls, the batter-runner rounds first base and, noticing the
infielders are not defending second base, takes off and safely attains second base. Seeing no fielder,
the catcher makes no throw but instead holds onto the ball following the last pitch. RULING:
Stolen base is charged to the catcher.

A.R. 14.14.9.2: Following a single to right field, the batter-runner rounds first base and, noticing
the infielders are not defending second base, takes off and safely attains second base. Seeing no
fielder, the right fielder makes no play but instead walks the ball into the infield. RULING: Stolen
base is charged to the “defensive team"

The last is not exactly the situation I described but close enough to make me think I would be correct in giving the batter a stolen base in a fastpitch game (not baseball) even though in my example there was a throw.
OhioTex

Re: marking options for stolen bases

Post by OhioTex » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:10 am

1)
ixamnis wrote:It appears I've come across another one of those differences between fastpitch and baseball rules. The first one I was aware of is the batter can change sides of the plate in the middle of an at bat in fastpitch but can't in baseball.
not sure what league rules / reference you are using ... that precludes a baseball batter from changing sides at the plate. I do not recall any rule difference in college fastpitch or MLB on the ability to switch sides of the plate. ...

for MLB, the batter can change sides of plate (bat left or right) during an at bat (just not once pitcher set). ( not sure the exact rules that state you can but rule 6.06(b) states batter can't switch sides while pitcher set, which implies he can otherwise, which is what matches my expectation as seen in MLB)

2)
ixamnis wrote:A.R. 14.14.9.2: Following a single to right field, the batter-runner rounds first base and, noticing
the infielders are not defending second base, takes off and safely attains second base. Seeing no
fielder, the right fielder makes no play but instead walks the ball into the infield. RULING: Stolen
base is charged to the “defensive team"
A.R. 14.14.9.2 - certainly seems to give you justification to credit the undefended 2nd base as a stolen base, interesting they are assigning it to the team, not the second basemen or shortstop.

3)
ixamnis wrote:A.R. 14.14.9.1: Following a base on balls, the batter-runner rounds first base and, noticing the
infielders are not defending second base, takes off and safely attains second base. Seeing no fielder,
the catcher makes no throw but instead holds onto the ball following the last pitch. RULING:
Stolen base is charged to the catcher.
A.R. 14.14.9.1 - this i always thought was a stolen base. (but really a mental gaff) when caught defense napping. but assigning to catcher is tuff. As i would not have blamed my catcher, rather my middle infielders most likely SS. perhaps 2b (or even CF) depending on the situation. catcher was not high on my list to blame here. Crediting a baserunner for heads up play is good i guess ,

4)
I wonder then if fielders choice or stolen base on The related undefended second base scenario in fast pitch, a bunt play and corners crashing , with 2nd covering 1, ss covering 3rd, and a play at 3rd. batter runner gets to 1 sees 2 undefended and goes. I would have advanced on fielders choice, but given two above. wondering if been robbing runner of a stolen base. ..
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1