Fielders choice

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
WarrenBof

Fielders choice

Post by WarrenBof » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:46 pm

I've been wondering about this and this evening was looking over the illustrated score card examples.

Situation is this: two outs, runner on first and batter hits a grounder to short who flips ball to second baseman covering. This obviously is the definition of a fielder's choice, but does the fact that it's the third out make any difference? The iScore example seems to show it as a force out without noting the FC.

What's right?
PetroGuy

Re: Fielders choice

Post by PetroGuy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 am

It is a force when scoring it via iScore. However, the stats show the batter with a fielder's choice for that at bat.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ut00081

Post by ut00081 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:06 am

The batter is scored as a 6-4 out since it was the last out due to a force, therefore the batter is not credited a fielder's choice for reaching 1st base.

Reason for the fielder's choice in stats is credited to On Base Percentage. Since the third out was recorded by a force out the batter can not be credited with OBP.

If there were 0 or 1 out it would be scored a fielder's choice and the runner at second is scored 6-4 force out. Because the batter reached first base safely because they decided to get the lead runner out instead.

Another scenario I see is a runner at 2nd. Ground ball deep in the hole at short and short fields and throws to 3rd baseman and tags the runner out. As an official scorer you have to determine could the SS have thrown the batter out at 1st? If not then scored a 1B and runner tagged out 6-5. But I have seen people rule this a FC. Not correct.

If this is the 3rd out. When was the out recorded since it was not a force? Did the runner at first reach 1st base before the tag was made or afterwards? If the out is recorded after the runner reaches 1st, it should be a single and then runner tagged out to end the inning? Is if the runner is tagged out before the batter reaches first? How is the batter recorded? I would assume just hit into an out if they did not reach 1st before the tag was made?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I disagree Ut0008.

The batter is charged an offical at bat. (regardless if 0,1,2 outs)
He hit into a fielders choice .batter is not out 6-4. runner@1 is forced out 6-4 on the play

Reaching by Fielders choice ( or reaching by error) does not increase batters on base percentage stat , it lowers OBP.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

I agree with OhioTex. This is always a Fielder's Choice on the batter. The runner that is forced out is put out and that is how it is scored. The batter get's credited with an at bat but no hit.
ut00081 wrote:Another scenario I see is a runner at 2nd. Ground ball deep in the hole at short and short fields and throws to 3rd baseman and tags the runner out. As an official scorer you have to determine could the SS have thrown the batter out at 1st? If not then scored a 1B and runner tagged out 6-5. But I have seen people rule this a FC. Not correct.

If this is the 3rd out. When was the out recorded since it was not a force? Did the runner at first reach 1st base before the tag was made or afterwards? If the out is recorded after the runner reaches 1st, it should be a single and then runner tagged out to end the inning? Is if the runner is tagged out before the batter reaches first? How is the batter recorded? I would assume just hit into an out if they did not reach 1st before the tag was made?
I partially agree with you on this second scenario. The scorer does need to consider the timing of the play at first. If they determine the fielder could not have retired the batter, then the batter could be credited with a hit if the runner going to third was tagged out after the batter reaches first. If the tag is applied before the batter reaches first or if the scorer determines the fielder could have retired the batter, then this should be scored an FC for the batter.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs