Umpire Miscounts Balls - batter walked on 5th ball.

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Eldog

Umpire Miscounts Balls - batter walked on 5th ball.

Post by Eldog » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:33 am

Hi,

The umpire seemed to lose count of balls and didn't walk batter on 4th ball.

Pitcher threw another ball and batter walked - on his 5th ball.

How should this be scored as the pitch count would be effected if the 5th ball is ignored?

Does software allow for 5 balls?

Thank you.

Lex
ixamnis

Re: Umpire Miscounts Balls - batter walked on 5th ball.

Post by ixamnis » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:07 am

Well, I about got tossed out of a game once as a scorekeeper pointing out to the ump he had missed counting one ball. What was bad, the other scorekeeper bailed on me and agreed with the ump because it helped her team. Another time I was honest and agreed with the opposing scorekeeper that the ump had the count wrong even though it went against us. Magically the strike zone got a little wider for our pitcher after that. Fortunately that was back in the days of keeping score on paper. I think about all you can do is go back and undo one ball (probably best right after it happened) and then put something down on a note and possibly you can manually enter the pitch in the pitchers pitch count stats if that actually matters since the umpire didn't count the pitch. I guess I'm finding it hard to understand what it matters in the final stats anyway. It appears to be more of just a hassle in figuring out how to undo it on the scorekeeping app.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm

If the umpire says there were only four balls, then officially you would only enter four balls. You can make a note on the play that there were actually 5 balls thrown, but the official pitch count can not be more than the umpire says.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Eldog

Post by Eldog » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty new to scoring so I was uncertain what to do.

My co-scorer said we had to count it for pitch count but your replies make way more sense to me.

Good to have this question on here for others to reference too!

:D