Scoring Question

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
iklimon

Scoring Question

Post by iklimon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Okay, I'm scoring some Freshmen aged travel Fall ball games. These are generally pretty good players. I was scoring a game yesterday and the following happened:

(Add a few items just for flavor, not all info is relevant to question at hand)

Leadoff batter in bottom of 7th of tie game (3-hole right handed power hitter)

First pitch of the at bat he scorches a hard ground ball right at the third baseman.

Third baseman drops to his knees and takes the ball off the arm in the act of dropping.

Ball trickles behind third baseman. Third baseman in obvious pain picks up the ball and throws to first.

Batter runner is safe at first.

Third baseman was hugging the line in a no doubles defense. Ball would have certainly been a double had it gone through.

I originally scored it an error, but in retrospect, I feel like the ball was hit so hard that the only thing the 3B could do was to stop it.

Thoughts?
Ian Klimon
Slammers Black 13U Major
http://www.slammersbaseball.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PetroGuy

Re: Scoring Question

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 am

Impossible to answer without seeing this. As always, use your best judgement and try and be consistent. The standard for baseball is 'ordinary effort by an average fielder'. I tend to adjust my average fielder standard for the level of ball being played. Top level travel ball is held to a higher standard than second tier travel ball. Travel ball is held to a higher standard than high school ball. All are at higher standards than League ball. Those are just my opinions after scoring games at all of these levels. Your mileage may vary.

So in this particular case, if this were an upper level travel team, I would score it an error unless there is a mitigating issue like a bad hop. Even hard hit balls should be fielded in upper travel ball if hit right at a player. Lower travel ball probably an error but maybe not. High school ball, possibly an error. League ball, probably a hit.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:18 am

I'd rule hit because of the description "Third baseman drops to his knees and takes the ball off the arm in the act of dropping." and it being labeled "scorches". Seeing makes it easier to score but based on the description it indicates a possible bad hop that takes away an error unless you're just really tough on scoring. If it were described "off the glove" then error. JMO
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:50 am

Egghead_#8 wrote:I'd rule hit because of the description "Third baseman drops to his knees and takes the ball off the arm in the act of dropping." and it being labeled "scorches". Seeing makes it easier to score but based on the description it indicates a possible bad hop that takes away an error unless you're just really tough on scoring. If it were described "off the glove" then error. JMO
Lol. The dropping to the knees is why I went with error for upper level ball. I've never really seen upper level players drop to their knees to catch balls hit straight at them, especially scorchers. Now off to the side a little, then yes, dropping down happens more often, but that changes how I score it also. Either way, that's why I can't really judge this one from the description.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 am

3rd basemen that also play catcher can tend to use this technique on hard hit shots in my experience (very high level travel ball). Maybe not both knees but down to block the ball instinctively.