Two out fielders choice (force) run crossing the plate

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
johnsonsb

Two out fielders choice (force) run crossing the plate

Post by johnsonsb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I had to score a play tonight in a way that made it seem like I was doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what I should be doing differently.

Situation: Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 out. Routine ground ball hit to the short stop for an easy 6-4 fielders choice. I'm wondering how I should score this because the first way I tried, the runner from 3rd was given a run, and of course that run doesn't count.

Initial scoring:
- In play, Fielders Choice, 6-4 Done
- What happened to runner on 3rd - Safe at home, Advanced by Batter (I am expecting this run to be "taken back" by iScore once the force is recorded at 2nd)
- What happened to runner on 1st - Out at 2nd, Force out

Then I saw that iScore counted the run, so I hit Undo and changed what happened to the runner on 3rd to "Held Up", but that doesn't seem right.

How should this be scored?

Thanks,
Steve
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Two out fielders choice (force) run crossing the plate

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:24 pm

When you advance the runner to home, select the Run Not Scored option.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
johnsonsb

Post by johnsonsb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought you would say. After some additional playing around I noticed the Run Not Scored option which I hadn't seen before.

Would it be possible for iScore to be smarter here and "know" that the run doesn't count? Similar to the way that it knows not to credit a Sac Fly to a batter when the runner on 3rd doesn't go. Just a thought. Maybe there's complication to doing that that I'm not thinking of.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

We will add the suggestion to our enhancement list, but the Run Not Scored option is there to allow the scorekeeper to explicitly say whether the run should count or not.
jmenole

Post by jmenole » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 am

I know this is an older thread, but we had this exact situation in a game last night and I scored it initially as the OP did, then backed it off when I also saw that the run was counted and instead used Safe, At Home, Run Not Scored. I came here today to search for this scenario to see if that was correct. I'm glad it was, but also want to second (for what its worth) that it would be nice if iScore knew that this run does not count after entering that the runner headed to second was out on a force play.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:32 pm

What if the run from third is supposed to count and yet iscore doesn't count it because the third out is made in the course of the same play? I have no idea how "smart" they can make these apps. My guess is though, then you would need to be able to go back and say "run was scored!" I'd rather see them work on a way of getting the outs to occur in the correct order on certain double plays.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 pm

I think the developers could consider some sort of 'confirmation prompt' or some special logic for 2 out scenarios.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
jmenole

Post by jmenole » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:56 am

ixamnis wrote:What if the run from third is supposed to count and yet iscore doesn't count it because the third out is made in the course of the same play? I have no idea how "smart" they can make these apps. My guess is though, then you would need to be able to go back and say "run was scored!" I'd rather see them work on a way of getting the outs to occur in the correct order on certain double plays.
Please excuse my ignorance but, if there are two outs and there was a force play/out for a succeeding runner, what is a situation where the run *would* count?
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:13 am

Right, on a force play/out on succeeding runner I can't think of how a run would still be scored. However if a succeeding runner was put out for some other reason and the run counts can iscore figure out whether it wasn't a force at that point?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:49 am

In the case where the batter grounds into a force out that is the third out, iScore does not bother asking what happened to the runner on third.

In the case where the batter is not out (FC) or the batter is not the final out (DP), then the order iScore asks about the runners is lead runner first. There is no way for iScore to know when it is asking what happened to the runner at third whether there was a force out at second, so it is up to the scorekeeper to select the Run Not Scored option.

We would like to avoid adding more questions that are asked of the user as we like to keep the process as streamlined as possible.

If someone has a suggestion that is more obvious than "Run Not Scored", we would love to hear it.