Tie Breaker Rules and Editing Stats

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
coachjones

Tie Breaker Rules and Editing Stats

Post by coachjones » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:40 am

Love the app and have been using it for a couple of years for all of our teams. We played a game last night with the 9U team that went into extra innings. The tie breaker rules are to put the last out on 2B and start the inning with one out. I know how to select tie-breaker in the app to put the correct runner on 2B but I could not figure out how to begin an inning with one out.

My "real-time solution" was to just end the inning after 2 outs and after searching previous posts it appears that this is the prevailing suggestion. But.............................

We use the app to track all of our stats, especially the innings pitched. When ending the inning after 2 outs, the pitching stats only reflect 2/3 of an inning pitched however with respect to the tournament rules and their specific per day and per weekend limits, we need to reflect that this counts as 1 full inning pitched.

I went in to the stat screens and it does not appear that the IP stat is editable. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this?
PetroGuy

Re: Tie Breaker Rules and Editing Stats

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:33 am

You have made the correct workaround in ending the inning early.

What sanctioning organization is basing pitching limitations on actual innings pitched? I have used iScore in tournament ball for years and have not seen any place that determines pitching limitations on actual inning instead of something based on outs. I know Nations baseball bases pitching limitations on outs. USSSA bases their limits on innings pitched, but their rule set states that innings are determined by outs.

USSSA rule 7.05.C.5
For all cumulative totals in this rule, one (1) out equals one-third (1/3) of an inning, two (2) outs equals two thirds
(2/3) of an inning and three (3) outs equals one (1) full inning. A pitcher that pitches in a game and
records no outs is not charged with any innings pitched.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
coachjones

Post by coachjones » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:42 am

Thanks for the reply

The organization is called Dynasty Baseball and it is specific to the Greensboro NC area. Nations in our area doesn't ever have 9s and USSSA hasn't made their 9U numbers in several weeks. AAU was doing their big summer world series for NC and it was a 3 day tourney and TopGun (another SE Regional Org) didn't have any 9Us so we didn't have a ton of options. The Dynasty guy usually counts innings based on outs but the tie breaker is an anomaly. The umps are the ones that keep the official record so the kid that pitched the final inning of the game also pitched the only extra inning. Instead of 1 2/3, he was charged with 2 innings, which isn't a huge deal for this tourney with the pitch limits which are 6 in one day and 9 for the weekend with each out counting as 1/3. He pitched 2 total the day before so he wasn't even close, I'm just wondering how to do it so I don't get into a situation where it matters and we exceed some dumb limit and they make us forfeit the game on something stupid such as this. I also want our stats to match their "official" stats.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 am

I have found that a quick perusal of rules for a sanctioning organization can fix a lot of issues. From the rules posted at http://dynastybaseball.org/rules.html
• For all cumulative totals in these rules, one (1) out equals one-third (1/3) of an inning, two (2) outs equals two-thirds (2/3) of an inning and three (3) out equals one (1) full inning. A pitcher that pitches in a game and records no outs is not charged with any innings pitched.
It appears the "official" stats for your last tournament were less than official. In cases like this, if you think the innings pitched could be an issue, then you just file a protest and get it corrected. To forestall the issue before it starts, the coaches would usually check with me bewfore signing the scoresheet to make sure my innings pitched matched the umpires innings pitched. If there was any discrepancy, it was discussed and worked out then.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
coachjones

Post by coachjones » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks PetroGuy - I am extremely familiar with those rules. Unfortunately, Dynasty being a small local organization has many gray areas in their rules and this is one. Instead of the logical interpretation which is what you are quoting, the focus was on the 3 outs being one inning and "technically" the pitcher was pitching for all 3 outs for that inning even though one was awarded and not technically earned. Trust me, I would argue vehemently in any circumstance where this had any sort of adverse effect on our team or a players ability to pitch in a game. This past weekend neither were the case, I am just trying to match stats and it creates an incongruity to the number of innings played and the number of outs recorded, etc. We go off of the number of innings that our pitchers throw and it looks on paper as if this game went 6 2/3 innings instead of 7.

Going back to the original question, I am still looking for a way to edit the innings pitched stat or a reasonable workaround to accomplish this. I am focused much more on the "how" part of this than the "why" part of this.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:37 am

The answer to your question, is to edit the outs in the stats. IP is a calculation of outs. (Bold fields are calculations and cannot be edited, you just have to figure which non-bold fields go into those calculations and edit those).
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
coachjones

Post by coachjones » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed

Thanks again for the reply