Another earned vs. unearned gray area

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
GParkins

Another earned vs. unearned gray area

Post by GParkins » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 am

1. Pitcher issues a leadoff walk (earned, so far).
2) Runner steals 2nd. (still earned).
3) Pitcher spins for a pickoff and the runner freezes. Pitcher charges the runner, who fakes a break back to 2nd, drawing a throw to the 2nd baseman, who is covering 2nd. Runner breaks for 3rd. 2B charges runner, and ½ step from the tag, runner collides with the obstructing 3rd. baseman. Runner is awarded 3B.
3) Next batter pops out to RF, allowing runner to tag and score.

My question is, did the 3rd baseman's obstructive blunder take over the run from the pitcher that issued the walk? If it did, how would you score it in iScore?
PetroGuy

Re: Another earned vs. unearned gray area

Post by PetroGuy » Tue May 26, 2015 8:49 am

I don't see enough information to answer this. You have to completely reconstruct the inning and I only see one out listed. Also, you don't mention what would have happened with the runner without the obstruction. Safe on third? If the runner would have been safe at third without the obstruction, then I would still count it as an earned run. The defense had a play but the runner successfully stole a base. No errors by your description. Run would be earned. However, if you judge the tag would have been made without the obstruction, then the run might be earned or unearned depending on the third, unmentioned out. Did the batter after the pop-up hit a single? then its still an earned run. Did the post pop-up batter ground out? Then it is unearned.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
GParkins

Re: Another earned vs. unearned gray area

Post by GParkins » Tue May 26, 2015 9:24 am

The runner would definitely have been tagged out. The obstruction occurred as the 2B was on the downswing of applying the tag, 15' from 3B. The final out was recorded after the sac. fly. Popout to 2B. Based on your comments, I believe it is an unearned run. Now...How to score it if it happens again?